The Sewing Place

Really out my comfort zone now

Gernella

Really out my comfort zone now
« on: July 29, 2018, 10:40:35 AM »
Yesterday, after lunch with some old friends I emailed one a link to Joel & Sons, which meant I had to have a look round myself.  End result, I've bought myself some of their much reduced faux fur.

Next big project is Waffle Tosti jacket and I'd already decided the hood was out but the collar I wanted something different to sit on the top side.  So faux fur it is.  All I can think of at the moment is put a backing on it and use Velcro to attach, but that's a long way off.

Could probably get a gilet out of it as well?

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Morgan

Re: Really out my comfort zone now
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 11:06:46 AM »

Hmmm, velcro with faux fur close by may not be a great combination.

Re collar methods for detatchable faux fur collar -

Example with loops
This one uses a lining backing and elastic loops to attach to buttons
Another with rouleau button loops and collar envelope corners - useful step by step photo tutorial

Instead of loops & buttons - consider -
snaps,
presstuds (lots of different styles)
snap tape (plastic or metal, lots of different types and sizes around)
buttonhole tape

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 13:40:29 PM »
Wow, thank you, snaps sounds nice and easy? I'm way ahead of myself as usual but for sewing I seem  to fall into the advanced planning category. Mind you I work on the theory the more you look at something and how it's done the less frightened you become if it's something new. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Manuela

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 15:08:22 PM »
Mind you I work on the theory the more you look at something and how it's done the less frightened you become if it's something new.

'Snap' - this is my approach when facing something new and challenging too (the latest being learning how to code).

dolcevita

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 15:43:09 PM »
I'm a sucker for good quality faux fur, just love the stuff.

I made a gilet last winter.  I can't remember where I got the fur from, but it was expensive.  On the other hand, I got a gilet and a cowl out of it and lined them both with silk satin from Beckford Silks.  The gilet got worn a lot and it should have another few years life left in it yet. 

I used fur hooks as the closure.  Before sewing any seam, I effectively 'shaved' the seam allowance to make it lie flatter, but also went along with a bodkin afterwards pulling free any fibres trapped in the seam allowance - this makes the seam line almost disappear.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 15:44:42 PM by dolcevita »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 19:54:46 PM »
@Manuela when I took my web design classes a few years back it was all totally foreign at first. After a few weeks I started dreaming in code, mostly quilts I had made/was making that had giant code appliqued or screen printed on the fabric. These were dream quilts mind you, not something I was doing. But I still think code as a design element might be fun to work with. It would reach a whole different audience.

I had a coat with fur trimmed hood and it buttoned on.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 19:59:49 PM »
I once dreamed that I had written a bit of html code that made everybody happy.  It also put a blue line around them, but that seemed to be a reasonable pay-off.

Sadly, when I woke up I couldn't remember the code.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.