The Sewing Place

Poll

Vote for the winner of the Plaids, Tartans & Checkered Fabric contest - you have two votes

Entry No 1 - BrendaP
26 (26%)
Entry No 2 - Sewruthiesews
9 (9%)
Entry No 3 - Sewmuchmore's 1st project
4 (4%)
Entry No 4 - Tamnymore
27 (27%)
Entry No 5 - Sewmuchmore's 2nd project
23 (23%)
Entry No 6 - Toileandtrouble
11 (11%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: November 26, 2018, 10:58:18 AM

Plaids, Tartans & Checkered Fabrics competition voting thread

Manuela

Plaids, Tartans & Checkered Fabrics competition voting thread
« on: October 12, 2018, 15:22:01 PM »
Entry No 1 - BrendaP

My tartan shirt is finished and I've been wearing it all day (except for when I was in the swimming pool!).
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The photo's not great but I am happy with the shirt.
McCalls 6035 view C but with proper cuffs and placket rather than turned back to 3/4 length with a tab.




Entry No 2 - sewruthiesews

I decided I would use this fabric from my stash. Hopefully it is sufficiently plaidy to count?

and sew a knit top using a printed abstract check. I think it looks quite good when made up.

I used the knit top with 3/4 sleeves from New Look 6735.




Entry No 3 - Sewmuchmore’s first project

Finished. Managed to match the back seam and pockets on back and front but couldn't match the side seams as well as back. The front is cut on the fold to incorporate the pleat. If I had thought a bit harder I should have cut with a centre seam (matched) and then do the pleat as an underlay. As it was the skirt took 2 metres and would normally take 1 1/4.

  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  




Entry No 4 - Tamnymore

Here's my tartan entry. It is an asymmetric shirt from Butterick pattern 6521. Interestingly I could not find any reviews of this pattern anywhere! As the pattern lends itself to piecing it is a good way of putting together a set of matching or contrasting fabrics. I have used some Liberty Varuna wool in a flowery pattern taken from a pair of trousers which never fitted and a charity shop skirt along with some tartan silk dupion - again from a charity shop (an odd length - about 60cm by 2m).

 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The only change I made was to add a couple of extra sections along the hem, front and back at the left hand side (luckily I had just enough fabric). The left side is a lot shorter than the sight side and I found that the left pocket tended to hang down below the hem. If I make the pattern again I'll extend the hem on the left by a couple of inches and curve the edge of the hem accordingly. Its a nice pattern - went together well and I'm pleased with the result.



Entry No 5 - Sewmuchmore’s second project

Managed to get my cape cut out, tacked and sewn, in the main fabric. Just the lining the do and wouldn't you know it the piece I had in mind is too small. I have been to Fabworks as well today, if only I had checked the lining before I went. Now have to go again, what a shame  :loveit:
Pics show how I marked the pattern piece to get a match on the fabric and the cape made up so far. It was a headache thinking about the pattern running both ways but I think I have managed to get the pattern all lined up.

Amended, oops looks as if there is a ghost at the window

  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Cape now finished.

  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  




Entry No 6 - Toileandtrouble

Got the skirt cut out. This is a pattern I wanted to tackle for quite a while. It is Old New Look, published by the English Pattern Company, Bradford, presumably before they were taken over. 1994, so vintage, like me. I have made the straight skirt before but want to try the back pleated version.  I have reduced the length of the pleats quite a lot, mid calf is not a good length for me.

Got the back of the skirt put together.  You probably can't see it clearly, but I have matched the pattern -vertically.  There was not enough fabric to move the whole thing up 5cm, those pleats are really greedy!
I am wondering if I should have gone with matching horizontally and let the pleats take the blame for any misalignment.
 Having said that, the pleat distance is just enough to bring the pattern back together.  I wonder if fabric and pattern designers work on a module measurement, like builders?
Just one line that is a tiny bit out, but that is due to the pleat fold underneath and I'm not going to unpick any more.
Because the fabric is prone to fraying, I gave the pleat section its own lining.  I'll put the lining in for the rest when I've worked it out.  Oh, and there was just enough fabric in the scraps to cut a pocket for the right hand side.

  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ta Da!  Is finished, can (just about) wear it.
Had to take the pocket out, it was distorting the line too much. Also resized the back darts.  Can't get a better picture of the back. Phone camera, expanded and over shoulder at an angle in less than perfect light,press the button while trying not to wobble, emailed to self and resized.. amazed it came out at all.  But I did finish.

 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 11:05:35 AM by Manuela »

Manuela

Re: Plaids, Tartans & Checkered Fabrics competition voting thread
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »