The Sewing Place

First time I've quilted on vacation

WendyW

First time I've quilted on vacation
« on: October 17, 2018, 14:36:56 PM »
We're staying at my father-in-law's home. Since past trips have mainly consisted of sitting in front of the TV I decided to bring some personal entertainment. I brought my bin of pre-cut scraps, some basic supplies, and plans to resurrect my late mother-in-law's ancient Singer. I chose to work on a scrap quilt for my FIL, who is now bed-ridden in a hospital bed in the living room.

A trip to Walmart to acquire a few supplies such as appropriate bobbins, machine oil, and fabric in FIL's favorite color. An hour spent laying out the design. A little TLC and some oil got the machine running nicely, and within 10 minutes something broke beyond my simple repair abilities. A phone call to one of hubby's childhood friends resulted in a borrowed Janome.

Two days of sewing, and here is the result. It's an odd size. I"m hoping it will work well in his hospital bed without having too much excess to tussle with. His aides were thoroughly impressed by the quick finish.
Jerry's quilt by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Acorn

Re: First time I've quilted on vacation
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 14:41:55 PM »
That's lovely - and what a wonderful present.   0_0  (And quick - really quick!!)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Stitches

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 15:52:00 PM »
That's really lovely

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 19:59:45 PM »
How clever are you! And so thoughtful too. <3
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

maliw

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 21:27:09 PM »
That is really nice, I hope he is able to feel the love when it is covering him. <3
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

SunnySkies

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 23:32:08 PM »
Wow Wendy W, that's beautiful! What a lovely gift your FIL received! Great job entertaining yourself!

Bowerbird

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 07:18:12 AM »
@WendyW what a wonderful gift, you've done a fabulous job.

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 13:30:14 PM »
That's beautiful and lovely colours. Very thoughtful.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !