The Sewing Place

Squaring up large quilt blocks...brilliant!

rubywishes

Squaring up large quilt blocks...brilliant!
« on: November 14, 2018, 05:07:29 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txM3UdNqHmM

Have just tried this method to square up the 16" blocks in my current project. Worked an absolute treat, and what's more I was able to re-use the paper for all the blocks. :) Looking at how much a large square ruler costs and comparing it to the couple of dollars I paid for a large roll of freezer paper (from the local big box craft store) I'm grinning so hard I may need to be slapped!!!!!!!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

Re: Squaring up large quilt blocks...brilliant!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 08:04:19 AM »
Excellent tip/vid ... tho' maybe not quite so great for use on a white background block ...
or is that just shortsighted me ???

Thank you very much Rubes!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sakar

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 20:24:28 PM »
What a fantastic idea!!!!  0_0 Thanks for this video!  <3

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 05:12:48 AM »
tho' maybe not quite so great for use on a white background block ...

Im, I think as "whites" are all different there would probly be enough difference for you to see the edge of the freezer paper or at the least, feel it to line your ruler up alongside it. My block backgrounds are a whitish sort of mottle and I didn't have any trouble distinguishing. Or maybe I was just so excited and enthusiastic  I was being hyper vigilant and bug eyed! LOL!!!!!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 02:59:20 AM »
Thank you! I missed a chance to buy an 18" square a few years ago and have kicked myself since. It was on sale, but part of a set and I already had the others so hesitated. Got in line, thought about it and headed back for it. Well, someone else had grabbed all 3 sets. The store never got them in again....I learned a lesson that day-buy your quilting supplies when you see them.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.