The Sewing Place

Color Play for Quilters

Pearl

Color Play for Quilters
« on: November 24, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »
(You can't imagine how much it pained me to omit the 'u'.)

Yesterday, I treated myself to this Craftsy class and a couple of fat quarter bundles.  Has anyone else done it?  It is very thorough and I am enjoying it so far.  Hopefully, it will help me with my strata for the Jan Hazzard workshop and I won't have to be mithering you so much.

wrenkins

Re: Color Play for Quilters
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 13:00:04 PM »
I ordered a cartload of stuff last week so it hasn't even arrived yet and my basket is full to overflowing again with bargains!  :S No classes though...  :angel:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 13:01:44 PM »
Glad you exonerated yourself @Pearl  I was just reaching for the  :fish:  :D
I've had several Craftsy courses over the years but never stuck with them. Not their fault. I can only access t'internet on a desktop computer in the studay and all my crafting is done in the workshop, in another building  -< Add in the fact that I am not a visual learner and it all becomes a waste of time.......... give me a good solid book  :loveit:
Hope you learn something from it and more importantly, enjoy yourself  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 15:15:50 PM »
I've never bought fabric from them before, @wrenkins , and I really don't need any more but...

I can only access t'internet on a desktop computer in the studay and all my crafting is done in the workshop, in another building 

Sounds as if you live on an estate, @Lowena  - stately home, not council.  :P

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 16:55:00 PM »
Ha ha @Pearl  I wish 0_0 I was born and brought up on a Council Estate in Dagenham so I'm half way there. No, we have very thick granite walls which Broadband can't penetrate, so we have the computer in an extension at the back. The workshop is in a converted garage to the front and side of the house.....miles away in Broadband speak  >:) Hoping to move somewhere more civilized soon  0_0

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 22:52:55 PM »
I can only access t'internet on a desktop computer in the studay and all my crafting is done in the workshop, in another building 

If you've got a laptop in the workshop you need a broadband extender

Assuming that your stately home has just one electrical supply for the whole house and a broadband connection in the study, just plug an extender into a socket in the workroom and use an ethernet cable from the extender to the laptop.  Voila!   Alas it won't work for tablets and mobile phones as they don't have an ethrnet port.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 23:29:19 PM »
Unfortunately, we don't have a laptop @BrendaP  just one 5yr old  desktop computer..... nothing else  :(
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 23:33:14 PM by Lowena »

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 09:00:23 AM »
I have this class and the (physical) book.

The bit about mixing and painting the different shades of colours was literally like watching paint dry .. agonising! and I  even tried doing it in the greens and just found myself wallowing in green! ! ! (hahaha  :devil:)

BUT, listen to the class ... several times if you can ... and the theory is sound.
I particularly like the quilt she made with Diane Basch which they found glowing because of putting a pure colour next to a greyed out tone  !!!

Still trying to replicate that one!

You get the ebook with the class so although it is a bit of a yawn, no piecing going on, it is a valuable class to have.

If you look through the class projects Pearl, you might find a quilt you recognize.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 10:23:15 AM »
I'll definitely have to watch the class several times but I'm hoping it will help me to choose colours without the usual angst.   

I didn't spot that familiar quilt in the projects, @Iminei .  So impressive.   :loveit: :loveit: :loveit:

WendyW

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 14:15:15 PM »
I watched the preview for that one and decided against it. I've had enough color theory classes in regards to other types of art that it looked like it would be a snoozer for me. A class about fancy stitches caught my eye though. I've never really used that aspect of my machines to full potential.