The Sewing Place

Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st

Acorn

Re: Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2019, 19:52:08 PM »
Not really - the thing I'm about to make just happens to be from my stash (in fact I intended to make it before Christmas).  Anything else I make in January may or may not be from my stash - I don't want to start making things I don't particularly want just because I've had the fabric for a while. 

I wouldn't expect to win for a minute, given the competition, but I can't see the point in entering a competition if there's no chance to start with - however, that is just me.  Clearly others are eager to make serious inroads into their stashes, and that's great.  The only reason I said anything was to explain why, having thrown my hat into the ring, I'm taking it back out.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2019, 19:52:43 PM »
@Acorn I made 4 shirts because 3 were on my to do list and they're needed for February. I managed to squeeze a 4th out of the fabric. I think a point is awarded for each metre used and I've only used 5m. I'd have made them anyway, it just so happened that this contest came along. If it's upsetting others I'll happily withdraw my entry. I don't usually enter contests because I'm really not competitive. My understanding is that it's a bit of fun to encourage us all to use stash, something I certainly need to do. (In fact I could do with using the bulky fabrics first, but that would mean measuring stash by volume)
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Acorn

« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2019, 19:56:14 PM »
Please, Lachica and anyone else - just because the competition is not for me does not mean that others shouldn't go ahead and enjoy it.  Clearly it was intended as a large stash-busting exercise from the start, since the rules do talk about bonuses for using lots of fabric.  I missed that - my mistake.

You are entering into the spirit of the contest as it is laid down in the rules.

Lachica

« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2019, 20:06:12 PM »
But you can still enter @Acorn,  we all enjoy seeing what others make.
Mary

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2019, 20:13:51 PM »
@Manuela Could the points for yardage used be a sort of separate competition?  Just for the glory?  And this competition be about the items themselves.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 23:33:34 PM by Manuela »

Acorn

« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2019, 20:16:40 PM »
But you can still enter @Acorn,  we all enjoy seeing what others make.
I will put it onto my diary thread - unless it comes out badly!

Sewingsue

« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2019, 21:46:03 PM »
Yeah I think there are some of us who know we're never contenders to win but just like to join in for the fun of it.
It really has to be for fun and sharing the experience as there are so many variables like ease or difficulty of the pattern and how quickly each of us works.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2019, 22:18:08 PM »
I'm going to join in just to make sure I do something.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BayCreekGal

« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2019, 22:39:08 PM »
I'm almost finished with a bib for my youngest grandsweetie who is a drooler.  I did the faux chenille technique which I never got around to trying back when it was so popular.  I used four layers of a flannel sheet we had for a smaller bed and one layer from some fabric from my eldest (15 years old) grandsweetie's nursery.  I don't save everything.  Not me.  What can I say, I was influenced by my grandma who went through the depression.  I'll post a pic when it comes out of the wash and gets its snap.  I need to make some more bibs, but I think these will be plain ones.  Those channels on the chenille are a pain to sew and a bigger pain (a literal one) to cut.

Fiona M

« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2019, 22:39:56 PM »
@toileandtrouble Ditto. I’m joining in just for the motivation to use up some fabric and sew something!  I don’t enter many of these, but I like looking at what others have made and enjoy casting my vote at the end  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 22:43:53 PM by Fiona M »

Lachica

« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2019, 22:53:08 PM »
This afternoon I cut this Threadcount pattern. I think @SewRuthieSews made it recently, which reminded me. I liked hers & hope I'll like mine. 2m used, yay! I'm on a roll now but sewing will stop next week when we're back to normal with childminding duties for GS and trips up the motorway to babysit GD. I had to take 5 cm out of the sleeve length since I don't have gorilla length arms but also had to add width at the biceps. I've not done fabric origami before, it's challenging my brain cell but I think I have the front correct so the rest will be easy.
Mary

Manuela

« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2019, 23:26:37 PM »
But that's the point - if I make just one item I will only use up at most 3 metres.  If other people are making lots of items they're going to get so many bonus points that it won't be a competition unless I do sew in bulk.

Presumably this also means that it will be one entry per person rather than per item - so, again, making one item isn't really going to cut it.

As in previous contests, it will be several entries per person. I apologise if that wasn’t clear, I put in in the first post though  :)

Manuela

« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2019, 23:34:36 PM »
@Manuela Could the points for yardage used be a sort of separate competition?  Just for the glory?  And this competition be about the items themselves?

Now there is a good ideaI like that a lot. Thank you @Bodgeitandscarper. At the end there will be two winners, the biggest destasher (using maths) and the best destasher (by vote).

Iminei

« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2019, 09:23:08 AM »
Just popping in from the Darkside to say I loooove that top @Lachica  .....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Greybird

« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2019, 09:38:03 AM »
I like that new idea of a dual competition - we seemed to be falling into two camps and that caters for both. Most of my stash is vintage and furnishing fabrics and I keep it for future use - it isn't necessarily for "using up". I did think I might use some of it for the House Beautiful competition though.