The Sewing Place

McCalls 7916 - Talk me in/out of it?

Kwaaked

McCalls 7916 - Talk me in/out of it?
« on: January 01, 2019, 14:56:48 PM »
It's a historical pattern and I was thinking of altering it some to make a jacket.  Crazy?  Brilliant?  Something so ugly only my mother would like it?  Fun to mess wit the pattern to see if it would work?

Changes:
No boning
using drapey fabric to swish (technical term, yep)
Extending the center front to be more coat like and making it open
No lace on neckline, although I do have crazy wide lace for the sleeves
No bum roll, mine is big enough thanks.
Possibly adding a zipper/other details to modernize it and make it less this and more weirdly faux avant garde (deconstruction techniques)
OR
Since I do OTT so well, going that route, ala this Dolce and Gabbana jacket:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I fixed the title with the right number...and here's a link to the pattern which I thought I liked this morning.  here
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 21:20:54 PM by Kwaaked »

Efemera

Re: McCalls 7196 - Talk me in/out of it?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 15:04:12 PM »
Loving the jacket....

Kwaaked

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 15:12:01 PM »
@Efemera as in the actual jacket or the idea for the jacket?

Manuela

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 15:36:31 PM »
@Kwaaked, I’m a bit puzzled what pattern you’re talking about - a picture would help.... Nothing looks like there could be boning, a bum roll or lace  :o

McCall’s 7196

McCall’s 7196

McCall’s 7196

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 15:57:42 PM »
@Efemera as in the actual jacket or the idea for the jacket?

Both...

Sonatine

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 16:02:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's M7916
I think it's a fab idea, I'll be really interested to see what you do with it! I think it would look great completely OTT like that D+G jacket

Sewbusy

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 16:25:26 PM »
I can visualise OTT and possibly making something similar but could never contemplate wearing anything so flamboyant. Think the nearest I ever got to that was a Dutch Blanket duffle with a fur trimmed hood, worn in my teens. Probably the most colourful and striking thing I've ever worn.

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 16:31:34 PM »
Would make a rather spectacular and different wedding dress I think

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 18:13:17 PM »
The jacket in the picture is spectacular - go for it.

However I too am confused both about the number of the pattern, but also I can't see any lace at the neckline (not that you'd need it with that fabric) where a jacket might be boned and where the bum-roll would go.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 18:37:12 PM »
Loving the D+G jacket. I'd wear it! Can't really see how that pattern would work though. The D+G jacket looks like it may be a fairly simple pattern underneath all that fabulous embellishment.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Kwaaked

Re: McCalls 7916 - Talk me in/out of it?
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 21:19:47 PM »
@Sonatine has the right number.  My dyslexia is showing today  :|

What's worse, I wrote it that way 3 times and when I posted I thought I had the right number on the 4th.

It's an Outlander costume.  I am discussing the caraco jacket of the pattern.

Kwaaked

Re: McCalls 7916 - Talk me in/out of it?
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 21:42:16 PM »
@Sonatine Thanks, I'm glad you can read my backward @Sewbusy what's worse...I am talking about a MUCH more flamboyant base then the D+G jacket.

Like my fugly pants for the competition, sometimes I make stuff just to see if I can get what is in my head to reality.  While I have worn the pants (mostly to my in laws house, because man, those are awful and let me insult your eye sockets, 'kay?), mostly they were a concept garment and it's possible that something like this could be one as well.  I would like to tell you these are the most OTT stuff I have ever made/worn, but they're not.

@sewingj when my OH and I do get married, I have orange satin for that dress.  My whole weekend wardrobe is some shade of orange.  But we're getting married by a 70s era Elvis impersonator...so there's that.