The Sewing Place

Pockets

toileandtrouble

Pockets
« on: January 25, 2019, 17:18:38 PM »
Seen on the BBC  that people are retweeting a picture of wedding group with their hands in their pockets.  YES, pocketses in wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses!  Useful for seating plans - and snacks.  Clearly I am not the only one who loves POCKETS   :loveit:
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Tamnymore

Re: Pockets
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 17:48:55 PM »
Yup I agree! Pockets in everything please. The chaps don't have to do without pockets, neither should we!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 20:36:11 PM »
I can't live without pockets!

justpottering

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 07:55:56 AM »
Pockets in bridal wear has become very popular in the last two years in my experience probably longer
I do love a pocket
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 12:01:07 PM »
I bought a paper when I was out and have seen the photo.
Well done those ladies.

Pockets are such a sensible idea especially when you are wearing an outfit that doesn't allow for any sort of bag (for a couple of tissues if nothing else).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 15:21:04 PM »
I like zip pockets, in fact I think you could say I have an obsession with them.  If the garment is red, even better. 

Didn't they use to have pockets in children's knickers, or maybe they were added later, mine never did. Very useful items though, although a lot of patterns have them in side seams and to me that is a bit too far back.

I have to say though I am welded to a handbag, can't do without one and a pocket would never hold the essentials on my list.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Deafoldbat

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 18:57:36 PM »
Didn't they use to have pockets in children's knickers

They used to have them in adult knickers too. Our geography teacher at high school - talking mid-1960s here - kept her handkerchief in the pocket of her (long) drawers. Were we marked for life seeing this?  :o

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 21:18:59 PM »
I hate the lack of pockets in ladies garments, so frustrating! And yes, wedding dress pockets should definitely be a thing!
the dress my daughter ALMOST bought had pockets...
C'est moi!

crooknees

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 13:11:38 PM »
I'm another defender of pockets. I often add them to the inside of bought coats. DH always asks for an inside zipped pocket for his wallet. I add side pockets to skirts and dresses too, provided that they allow enough room. Where else can you put a hanky/tissue? Up your sleeve is the usual place. It does not look good though.