The Sewing Place

Too nervous to finish my quilt

debs

Too nervous to finish my quilt
« on: January 29, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »
I've finished the top of my quilt but I feel sort of stuck. I bought backing fabric and wadding but keep getting it all out and putting it away again. I don't know where to go from here.
I have a small brother, nothing fancy, and I've made a rather large quilt! Im sure its possible to squeeze it in to the machine but guess I'm scared. I haven't tried any free motion quilting before so think I'll probably stick to straight lines, but even that seems so daunting.
I need help!!

Efemera

Re: Too nervous to finish my quilt
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 11:11:56 AM »
Just stick to straight lines... when it’s done you can always add some free motion or some other decorative quilting.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 14:00:39 PM »
Hi Deb, you are new so we don't know you yet ... so may I ask a few  questions??

Dubai ...ooh interesting, how are the quilting shops there???

Ok to business ...

Is this the first bit of P&Q you've done?
Is this the first quilt top?
How big is the top?
Is the top completely finished?
Which design/block have you used?
What wadding are you thinking of using?
Which method of basting?
Do you have access to a large clean surface?

And lastly (and ever so nicely) WHERE are the PICS ???????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 16:49:12 PM »
You don't need a fancy machine to quilt with but you do need something with a big enough harp space to fit it all in.  Also FMQ needs quite a bit of practice.  If you are going to do it make up some practice sandwiches using any old fabric about the size of a FQ.

Quilt as you go only works if you have pre-planned.  If like my latest project it's all in one piece it can't be QAYG so I've chickened out and am hand quilting it and honestly I don't think it will take that much longer as hand quilting is usually much less dense than machine quilting.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 22:20:07 PM »
Hi @debs , it sounds like you this is your first quilt.
If so, then my best advice would be to lay all three layers flat on a big table or the floor and pin, pin, pin! Ideally with safety pins. You cannot have too many pins when you’re stuffing a big quilt through a sewing machine.  Leave the wadding and backing slightly bigger than the front and trim once you’ve quilted.

Many years ago I quilted a single bed sized quilt on a very basic machine so it is possible, just take your time. It might be worth investing in a walking foot if you don’t have one. Good luck!

debs

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 04:46:56 AM »
Thanks everyone. Ive got it all out again and am going to start today. It's a 'stars & 4 patches'. I have made a quilt before (badly) but many years ago. it was a cot/ play quilt. This one is 72 1/2'' x 90''. Not sure why I thought it would be a good idea to make such a large one. I'll try and put a picture of it on here.
Once I've got it all pinned (thanks Sheilago) I will see what Ive got left over and have a practice. Pretty sure it will be straight lines.

There is a shop up the road with a long arm machine and you can leave everything with them and the finish it but I didn't want to go down that route.

Alternatively, if I cannot get it in the space on my machine maybe its time for a new machine  :D.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 05:18:53 AM »
This one is 72 1/2'' x 90''.

Woooahhh!!! That's big!!! I would be nervous too!

The biggest I have quilted would have been The Opus at 80" square ... just take it very slowly and you will need a walking foot. I baste with 505 spray and a few pins at the outer edges and have never had a problem.

Some local quilting shops offer a layering service for a small fee (or sometimes free if you purchase the 505 etc from them) and with a beast that size I would heartily recommend it, personally I wouldnt have enough clear space to layer him and the layering (for me) is the most dreaded part .... again because of lack of space I suppose.

BTW There is NOTHING wrong with quilting straight lines!

Cant wait to see your pics!

debs

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 08:50:41 AM »
Thats looks really interesting lminei.
The wadding Im using seems very thin. Its 100% cotton called Tuscany unbleached cotton queen size.
I tried uploading a pic but the photo hosting site I chose wouldn't accept anything from the UAE  >:). I'll keep trying though.

@Acorn @Francesca  ... any help?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:12:57 AM by Iminei »

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 10:10:30 AM »
I'm not too well up on image hosting sites, but I know people on here use Flickr and Imgur - are they any use?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

debs

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 11:43:12 AM »
It was Flickr I tried. I'll try Imgur

debs

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 12:18:01 PM »
Ok think I've done it! My daughter kindly put some on Flickr from the UK. https://flickr.com/photos/143937062@N02/sets/72157689243981423

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 14:45:54 PM »
THAT is lovely!

Good Luck!