The Sewing Place

How do you transfer pattern markings?

Ploshkin

How do you transfer pattern markings?
« on: February 14, 2019, 15:37:16 PM »
Watching the contestant on GBSB hammering holes in her pattern to mark darts made me wonder how others transfer pattern marks to fabric.
I'm an old fashioned sort and I use tailor tacks for darts, dots and other important points.  That's what I was taught and they take me no time.  If I Ned a line for darts or something I join the tailor tacks with a chalk line. For notches I just make a little snip into the seam allowance.

What do you do?
Life's too short for ironing.

Elnnina

Re: How do you transfer pattern markings?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 16:00:58 PM »
I think the contestant was only punching holes in her paper pattern not the fabric, and then I agree with Ploshkin you then put tailors tacks in through the punched hole on the pattern piece which is still pinned to the fabric like we were taught at school.  Now I am intrigued as to what this lady was using to cut the holes as I too am making my own patterns and could do with something like this – please does anyone have any ideas as to what this tool would be called?

Back in the 50's Vogue patterns were not printed, they were just plain tissue pattern paper and all the markings were shown by punched out symbols, so very easy to sew tailors tacks through the various symbol's holes.

In answer to Ploshkin’s question about marking balance marks etc. again I use tailors tacks – they really do not take that long and are easily removed even if they get caught up in the machine sewing – especially when sewing the darts, and this is where a pair of small surgical forceps are an essential part of our sewing kit – they remove even the most stubborn piece of thread that is caught in the stitching.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 16:09:58 PM »
Tried everything....but always come back to tailor tacks.

Radiofan

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 16:29:41 PM »
The tool for cutting holes is called a "Hollow Hole Punch", which can be purchased in sets. Some cheap sets on t'bay.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 16:30:19 PM »
Now I am intrigued as to what this lady was using to cut the holes as I too am making my own patterns and could do with something like this – please does anyone have any ideas as to what this tool would be called?

I think it is called a hole punch (though Google results for that might be more geared to A4 paper than fabric) or a centre hole punch. Beyond Measure tweeted during the program that they stock a Japanese version of this that does not require a hammer. If you have a look at that page it might give you an idea for search terms to find less costly alternatives if needed.

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 16:41:51 PM »
I'm another tailor tacker, but instead of cutting notches I add little triangles - think my mum must have told me to do that. I do sometimes mark with a washable pen but only if I am certain I can get rid of the mark afterwards

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 16:44:43 PM »
Thanks again to  all who have suggested the hole punch I have just ordered one and shall look forward to trying this out.  Luckily I have a few Olfa mats, and can certainly designate a small one just for this type of punching.

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 16:51:14 PM »
I have a book which recommends using those hole reinforcing circles too for patterns you use often - a simple idea but one I hadn't thought of

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 17:07:25 PM »
I've just re-run the first part of the programme and the woman wearing the green dress (Mercedes) used the hole puncher on her pattern, not sure how she transferred the dots to the fabric, and then used an acrylic ruler and a pen/pencil to draw in the sewing lines.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 17:10:30 PM »
Another tailor tacker here, but I like the idea of making a proper hole in the pattern paper rather than tearing it from the TT.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 17:20:00 PM »
I usually do a single 'stitch' from each side using double thread.  Not quite how the books say to do it but it usually works for me.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

SkoutSews

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 17:22:27 PM »
Pin and chalk for me. I did try tailor's tacks once, but found them an awful faff. For notches, I make a small snip or two in the seam allowance. I also use a chalk wheel pen or frixion pens for markings, as necessary or as the fancy takes me. I'm not a proper sewing person though.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 17:42:34 PM »
I can't get on with snipping notches inwards  :ninja:  Even on nice easy fabrics like woven cotton they can get raggy and lost if the fabric is handled a lot.

I was taught at school that notches should be cut outwards partly because inwards cuts can weaken the seam and partly (more importantly) because it takes away from the chance to make the garment slightly bigger if necessary

That was a grammar school all those years ago, so priority was on academic rather than practical subjects and I only did needlework for about 3 or 4 terms.

Sewingsue

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 17:43:49 PM »
I have to admit I think I do tailor's tacks wrong...

My understanding is you do them through two layers then pull apart the layers and snip inbetween so you transfer the same making onto both sides/pieces. The one thing I'm always a bit confused about is when I do them I have one lovely one (where there is a tiny little "x" on one side and 8 little thread snips poking out on the inverse side). But on the other layer I end up with 8 leggy pieces of thread that poke out both sides and inevitably some of them fall out if it's soft fabric. How do I get the tacks to look the same on both pieces? Or do I really have to do them all per-layer.
If you are doing them wrong then so am I as that is a perfect description of what mine look like.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Efemera

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 17:46:38 PM »
At school we were taught how to pull the pattern off the tailors tacks so there was little damage to the pattern, also to cut outward triangles where the notches are.... I don’t do that now, I just snip into the seam allowance.