The Sewing Place

Style Arc Easter Sale

Helen M

Style Arc Easter Sale
« on: April 15, 2019, 13:12:28 PM »
Style Arc are having a 20% off sale for one week from 15th. Codes are HOPTOIT20 on their own site, Etsy and Amazon.

https://www.stylearc.com/?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=SendGrid&utm_medium=email
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Tamnymore

Re: Style Arc Easter Sale
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:59:10 AM »
Yes I've already succumbed..... I've ordered a couple of paper patterns which, according to my calculations, work out at a smidgeon over £15 when the tax and 20% are taken off. Hoping they won't attract any customs charges but I'll just have to take it on the chin if they do! I'd normally just go for pdfs but it's nice to have the paper patterns.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:28:51 PM »
I wish they would do the reduction on Amazon in the UK as well as the US - StyleArc paper patterns are the best of both worlds for me, since they're on proper paper but ready printed!  I first discovered them on Amazon.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 12:37:23 PM »
I know there are a lot of Style Arc fans here. Can you tell me how you find their sizing?
Do you have to go up or down compared to other pattern companies?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 12:59:31 PM »
I'm a size down from the 'Big 4' sizing. Style Arc publish their size chart here.  Seems more like American sizes. With a single size pdf they send you the size above and below as well as the size you order which is very helpful. Although I have manage to purchase quite a few Stylearc patterns (cough) I've only managed to make up one so far (Parker coat) and it was an excellent design and fit.

Also I see that they give the dimensions of finished garments online too so you can decide how much ease you want (generally I want more rather than less ease!).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 17:35:25 PM by Tamnymore »

Helen M

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 19:51:11 PM »
I know there are a lot of Style Arc fans here. Can you tell me how you find their sizing?
Do you have to go up or down compared to other pattern companies?

I'd say they are a bit smaller than the big 4 but it's a long time since I used one of those. I don't think there is the huge ease, which for me is good. I don't think they are quite the same as American sizes though. I'd say they are more like RTW sizing but they are closer fit than the big 4. Use their size charts as I think they are accurate.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 20:00:20 PM »
They are pretty good about giving the finished measurements - on their website as well as with the actual patterns - although in some of the older patterns you have to work it out from the size 10 measurements (add 2 inches to each measurement for each additional size).
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 21:29:16 PM »
I find their sizing fine but the shoulders too wide for me. I'm narrow shouldered, but these seem broader than standard patterns.

Well they sometimes come out small on me so although I am a  bit broad shouldered, I wouldn't think they're bigger than standard!
The main thing to remember is they have small seam allowances, so there's not much room for wiggle if you get your size wrong.  I think their size charts are to be trusted too.

They are very nicely drafted, have loads of styles that are brilliant for colour blocking and using up scraps.
My second favourite, very close after Vogue
C'est moi!

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 21:30:06 PM »
I find their sizing fine but the shoulders too wide for me. I'm narrow shouldered, but these seem broader than standard patterns.
Ah, that might be why I thought my first tissue fit of the Lauren jacket was too big (or maybe it is just a looser style than I am used to).

Thank you all.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 12:42:00 PM »
Strangely I don't find the shoulders particularly wide, I do take a bit off but less than I do for the Big 4 and I'm very narrow shouldered.

Was it the Lauren Boyfriend shirt? If so the pattern measurements are huge for a size 10 and 'Boyfriend' always shouts 'loose fit' to me.

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 16:53:21 PM »
Well my two sale price Style Arc patterns have just arrived - that's 16 days since I ordered them which is pretty good.. Interestingly there's no customs declaration on the envelope (I always see a customs declaration on patterns from the US and once had to pay tax when I went well over the limit before I realised how it all worked).

Also the stamp stuck over 'Postage Paid Australia' says Deutsche Post so I wonder what journey they have had!