The Sewing Place

Anyone know how to work out these blocks?

Sheilago

Anyone know how to work out these blocks?
« on: April 18, 2019, 19:53:14 PM »
I have had my eye on this quilt as a possible wedding quilt. I found the photo on Pinterest, but the link is just to an Instagram account, so no instructions. The person who posted said there was a ‘trick’ to making it. I wondered if anyone has made this pattern.

My guess is you make the light squares with dark border squares ( I plan to cut 5.5” square light fabric and border of 3” dark fabric). That’s the easy bit. I think you probably then make a dark centred square with 3” light border and cut it into 4 diagonally to make the 4 outside corners. I might be wrong even about this .

I’ve been trying trial and error to work out border thickness and the size of the square to be cut up, but there must be a mathematical way, which would avoid me wasting fabric :P. My husband has a maths degree, but he doesn’t understand what I’m getting at. Hope you Dark Siders are on my wavelength and can give me tips  :D

StitchinTime

Re: Anyone know how to work out these blocks?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 20:07:59 PM »
I wonder if each square is made of four identical  blocks. I’ve tried to sketch how they would be joined to make the square, but you might have to try various widths to see which looks best.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 20:12:17 PM »
@StitchinTime is right.  Look at the red set of blocks at the bottom of the photo.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 20:29:47 PM »
Do you think it is made from triangles cut from strip sets?  It is similar to this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFxskSN5fgo&list=WL&index=4&t=16s

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 20:53:48 PM »
@Sheilago

The block is .......

a dark (pattern) triangle, a white background strip, a dark pattern strip and a white background triangle

'Scuse the blurriness of the pic please
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 21:04:47 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 20:54:49 PM »
Thanks, :D.  I knew you’d get me thinking along the right lines. Once I looked at @StitchinTime reply, I drew the block out and cut it up. I was just thinking it must be sewn as a strip cut up, when @Pearl replied. The YouTube video quilt is similar.. it has 3 instead of 4 strips, but it shows me how to do it. I just have to work out sizes now. I’d only want a max of 2 blocks the same, where the YouTube one cuts lots of randomly placed blocks.
Mmmm - wish I’d paid more attention in Geometry ( though I’d have forgotten it by now, even if I had  0_0)

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 21:04:46 PM »
I can certainly do the strip cutting method, but just looked back at the Instagram entry and noticed that the person got the pattern from a book about charm square quilts. So she must have used 5” squares. Maybe I need to buy the book, but I do like to try to figure out a way of doing things.  -<

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 21:41:35 PM by Sheilago »

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
If she used charm squares then it will be all half square triangles like this block, just use one colour and one light for each block.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 11:44:00 AM »
If she used charm squares then it will be all half square triangles like this block, just use one colour and one light for each block.
That's how I saw it but the quilting is deceptive as it hides the size of the squares.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 12:13:00 PM »
I thought it was HSTs at first but the patterns on the fabrics don't appear to be broken by seams.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 15:13:16 PM »
Well spotted Plosh.  8)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sheilago

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 16:46:28 PM »
Thanks everyone, it’s clearly a mystery how that particular quilt was made. I can’t see how she used charm squares unless the blocks were very small. I’m going to experiment with the strips. Will let you know how I get on! 0_0

Sheilago

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 19:44:06 PM »
Finally got round to trying this out . Cut 2 light strips and 2 dark strips 14” by 2.5 “ , sewed them into a tube , then cut them at 45degree angle as shown in video and that made 2 of the 4squares needed. It is quick, but there’s quite a bit of waste. Makes a big block 11.75” square.

Need to think of something to do with the left over bits as I’ll have these from every block. :[

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 19:54:43 PM »
HST blocks with a dark  .. (ooh Dramatic) or a light ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 19:41:55 PM »
Change of plan. I think this pattern was going to take too long and have too much wastage, so have changed to making a crosshatch quilt. I saw one on Pinterest and really liked the rich colours ,so now I’m going for that . I’ll need about 184 of these blocks, unless I decide on a broad border.

Could I split this into sections and do quilt as you go? I’ve never tried it. The one video I saw seemed to join squares by introducing sashing, which wouldn’t work for this pattern.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 19:44:48 PM by Sheilago »