The Sewing Place

Head coverings for cancer patients

SewRuthieSews

Head coverings for cancer patients
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:17:41 AM »
My friend B (of the nun costume) doesn't really sew but is interested in doing small projects with me.
She has a friend (who I don't know) who is having cancer treatment and is looking for bandanas rather than wigs.

If you have sewn head coverings for cancer patients, what worked best? Are there any free pattern resources?

snoozi soozi

Re: Head coverings for cancer patients
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:22:50 AM »
I've made bandanas for dogs, wouldn't be much different, I don't think. I looked on youtube there's various different methods on there. Good luck, it's a cute sentiment  :P
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Sewbusy

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 10:01:04 AM »
My sister has suffered from alopecia universalis for at least 25 years and found wigs very uncomfortable, hot and irritating, even natural hair ones. Consequently she has worn small head squares for all that time. Soft 100% cotton is all she can wear and thankfully these are fairly readily available. Of course, not all colours and patterns are to her choice but she lives with the problem, Hobson's choice as the saying goes.

Years ago she would have happily made her own but she has severe Rheumatoid arthritis and can do longer do anything which requires dexterity.

Perhaps if she has colour and  pattern options to co-ordinate with her apparel it may help.

Soft cotton knits I a 'beanie' hat style may also be a option, maybe bamboo fabric?.

I know my sister was very conscious of her bald nape and she wore the headscarf tied at the back and that detracted a little from area.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 10:31:23 AM »
I work next door to The Cancer Centre (and have coffee there every morning) of one of the main hospitals in Belfast and the headgear is fascinating. Some folk use the tried and tested bandanna (I'm not a fan) and some folk just go for it and use their head covering as a statement of defiance. One young girl in her 20s wears those Peruvian jobs to match her pyjamas of the day. She's in every few months and has many hats that seem to be lined with soft fleece!  :) It would depend very much on the style of the wearer. One of the children had a Noddy hat complete with bell!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 16:51:39 PM »
I'm told that patients who loose their hair because of chemo treatment often also have very sensitive skin, so a soft fabric, prefereably natural fibre and keep any seams as flat as possible.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 21:49:13 PM »
I made several about 7 years ago for a friend undergoing chemo. She gave me the pattern, which I think she got from a support nurse or maybe from a cancer charity.
I made some in cotton jersey and some  in normal cotton. From memory I think they had a hat shaped bit with long broad ties to adjust it to fit.

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 21:52:41 PM »
https://so-sew-easy.com/chemo-hats-scarfs-free-sewing-patterns/

Just had a quick google and found this. There are lots of free patterns out there.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 21:55:08 PM by Sheilago »

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 22:55:57 PM »
I made several for a friend who sadly didn’t make it.

It was a simple beanie worn outside in so the seams didn’t chafe with a soft silky scarf attached 

Her favourite had a skull and crossbones scarf.

Fiona M

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 08:13:51 AM »
I remember on the old forum that @datcat23  made some nice ones.

datcat23

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 23:42:52 PM »
Gosh @Fiona M  you have a good memory.

I made a big batch of these for my mother, when she was having cancer treatment. 

Cancer Turban sewing tutorial

I liked it, because it looked vaguely like a 1920's cloche, and because it wasn't tight.  I made these in soft cotton jersey and cotton lycra, because my mother lives in a warm state, and didn't need the warmth of fleece or wool.  The tutorial is designed to make the cap in bulk on an overlocker.  I altered the process slightly, to stitch the band on in the round, concealing the joining seam inside the band, so it didn't rub.  I would also, just sew this on a regular machine, rather than an overlocker, as the seam would be softer.

Chemo cap chevron by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m