The Sewing Place

Upcycled Tab Top Curtain.

Sewbusy

Upcycled Tab Top Curtain.
« on: May 07, 2019, 19:01:49 PM »
My lovely lady dog walker is very well endowed in the bust area bu has considerable smaller hips. Consequently she has problems buying items which fit nicely and look good.

Knowing I am getting back into sewing (working at it) she asked if I would alter two summer tops. Not a problem, no fitting s such, just reduce with . Easily achieved. So, while waiting for her to collect I found an old Tab Top Curtain, left in the house by the previous owners and never used by me. more a cotton gauze than anything else, think bandage fabric!

Copied the style of one of her tops and cut it out. Decided it was a little too see through for a lady who wears substantial bra's.

Found a remnant of embroidered voile type  fabric to provide a 'modesty' front and played away. Oh the errors I made! Too long since I did any proper sewing, pattern cutting and even measuring tripped me up at times.

Biggest mistake? Using a Frixion Pen for marking!!! Improved eyesight didn't warn me that I'd picked up a Sharpie permanent marker by mistake. Swear words ensued.

The lady collected her tops today when she walked the dog. I showed her the top and she was thrilled to bits. "That's perfect, was looking yesterday for a pale cream top for in the evenings, don't like to go sleeveless at night" She's off to Rhodes tomorrow morning and mosquitos like bare skin.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Surest1tch

Re: Upcycled Tab Top Curtain.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 19:25:36 PM »
That's so pretty

snoozi soozi

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 19:52:21 PM »
Looks good
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 19:54:19 PM »
Looks lovely, did you tell her it started life as a curtain?

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 20:56:44 PM »
Very styleish, it definitely doesn't look like a curtain now.   :loveit:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 22:11:22 PM »
That's lovely!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Sewbusy

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 22:27:32 PM »
@Ellabella  Oh yes, she knew it was a old curtain but I had washed it very well, we had a good laugh about it. There was initially a pair of curtains and they'd been languishing  in the airing cupboard since 2007! One I cut up and used for straining things in the kitchen. The fabric  reminded me of a dress my Mum made when I was an angel in a nativity play, she made all the dresses my sisters and I wore for plays and Whitsuntide walks. She got me into sewing at a young age.

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 22:29:52 PM »
Slightly freaked out now, I’ve just been having a fabric sort out to tidy the stash and near the bottom of one box I’ve found a tab top voile curtain :S

I don’t remember putting it there but you can say that of a lot of my fabric.

At least I know what to do with it now.  :D

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 12:16:32 PM »
That is really lovely, @Sewbusy !  Such a kind thing for you to do for your friend. x