The Sewing Place

Sewing For Dolls

Ann

Re: Sewing For Dolls
« Reply #270 on: December 27, 2023, 10:54:31 AM »
@toilandtrouble, I am so pleased that I helped you fall into 18" doll sewing.

I fell into some depression this fall and when I got out of it, I was behind sewing for Christmas so the doll got neglected. I am now cleaning the sewing room this week and once done I will be back to sewing which will include dolly sewing. Not only for my 13 dolls but for two little girls who love to play with the 5 they have.

@Acorn, I hope you will show what you make for your godchild's doll.

Here is a page of doll quilts so the dolls can say warm.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Acorn

« Reply #271 on: December 29, 2023, 15:29:24 PM »
Well, littlest goddaughter seems to still be be devoted to Barbies, and her Our Generation doll (Daisy) appears to be her 'playing with hair' doll. 

However, I have found a nice OG doll on Ebay at a good price... and if my goddaughter doesn't come around to playing with hers as she gets older I think I could have plenty of fun myself...   :ninja: ... and what better way to persuade her than giving her some lovely clothes anyway??!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #272 on: December 29, 2023, 15:38:52 PM »
My GD has a couple of Lottie dolls. I bought her a set of clothes for Christmas and have drawn around them to try to make some more. They're tiny though! Has anyone tried making for such a small doll?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Acorn

« Reply #273 on: December 29, 2023, 15:51:12 PM »
I made a few items for my oldest goddaughter's Barbie doll (she's now 25) - never again!  Life is too short to make such tiny things!!!   :S

Acorn

« Reply #274 on: January 29, 2024, 15:34:27 PM »
This is Emily.  She is an Our Generation doll, the same model as my goddaughter's doll so that I can make clothes to give to her (in the future, I don't think she's ready for well made dolls' clothes just yet!)  Emily is wearing her original dress and a Little Schoolhouse Cardigan designed by Joan Duquette (and knitted by me).

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I do have one problem.  Because I needed to get the same model as my goddaughter's doll, Emily has very long hair with a section that grows - there is a knob hidden about her person that turns to let it grow, which needs very slight accommodation in her clothes.  Unfortunately, while Emily herself is in great condition, her hair has been well and truly played with and is a real mess.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I am going to cut her hair, but wondered if anyone has any advice about how to do this?  I'm happy enough to trim my own hair, but mine grows back!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 15:36:23 PM by Acorn »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #275 on: January 29, 2024, 21:02:11 PM »
My little friend couldn't be bothered with the long hair on her doll.  Her mother cut it to shoulder length, like her daughter. It looks great, I am just getting up courage to do that to one of mine.  She doesn't have any tips. I asked.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Cazlyn

« Reply #276 on: January 31, 2024, 11:55:30 AM »
@Acorn a Google search comes up with the idea of using fabric conditioner on a dolls hair to detangle it, I have no idea if it works but might be worth a go if you’re going to cut it anyway.
Crafting is my happy place

Acorn

« Reply #277 on: January 31, 2024, 12:09:15 PM »
Ooh that sounds sensible - thanks @Cazlyn - that might make it a bit bendier, so that the ends curl rather than looking spiky.

I'm still trying to pluck up the courage...

Missie

« Reply #278 on: January 31, 2024, 14:33:20 PM »
@Acorn a Google search comes up with the idea of using fabric conditioner on a dolls hair to detangle it, I have no idea if it works but might be worth a go if you’re going to cut it anyway. 

I tried to suggest this yesterday but pooter was not playing nicely so gave up!

StitchinTime

« Reply #279 on: January 31, 2024, 14:55:49 PM »
@Acorn The only advice I can give is don't try to dry the hair by putting the doll in front of a gas fire. I did this with my Tiny Tears doll many moons ago and she had to have a head transplant.

Acorn

« Reply #280 on: January 31, 2024, 15:11:34 PM »
 :o  (  :laughing: )

toileandtrouble

« Reply #281 on: January 31, 2024, 17:49:32 PM »
@Acorn I tried conditioner.  Use very very little, you can't handle it too much to wash out.  It didn't seem to do much for mine, but that one was very bad.  Perhaps it was the operator!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m