The Sewing Place

What kind of fabric?

Efemera

What kind of fabric?
« on: May 18, 2019, 19:10:05 PM »
I’ve just been reading @Missie post and looking at the lovely fabric she’s bought... fabulous colours.
It got me thinking...I’ve never made a plain coloured dress, I’ve made plain coloured cardigans and the odd plain coloured shirt but the vast majority of me made (and RTW if I think about it) clothes are patterned...how about you?

sewingj

Re: What kind of fabric?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 19:19:07 PM »
I can't wear anything plain  - I'm too good at spilling stuff down me. ( I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near bleach)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 19:43:17 PM by sewingj »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 19:25:48 PM »
I used to only wear plain colours, now it's nearly all patterned, as I too spill things down me  :|

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 20:07:33 PM »
I never thought of that...maybe that’s why I always wear patterns too.

Bogwoppit

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 20:23:23 PM »
I'm mostly in plains or subtle patterns (small motifs or tone on tone) or fine stripes.
I spill things down me too, layers help!
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

hernibs

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 22:13:18 PM »
I mostly wear patterned of some sort for the same reasons as others......as soon as I put on something clean I spill something on it....if it is patterned I can 'fix' it fairly easily with the dishcloth and some fairy liquid!!!

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 22:44:13 PM »
I'm sitting here in a me-made plain black top and trousers - just home from playing in a concert (uniform is all black).  Now you come to mention it I'd say my home sewn clothes are about 2/3 plain though summer stuff is more patterned. My fabric stash is about 3/4 patterned so maybe I'm turning into one of you!

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 00:04:32 AM »
I'm afraid I buck the trend - almost everything I own and wear is plain. Not that I don't like patterns - I do - I just don't seem to make/buy anything patterned. On the other hand, in my Dark Side work it's nearly all patterns. Weird. :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Manuela

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 00:44:29 AM »
Plain, patterned, textured - I wear everything really, as long is it suits my colouring. Dominantly cool and clear colours, the occasional deep one as long as it’s cool. I also like to combine patterns...

indigotiger

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 01:31:51 AM »
I wear a mixture, mostly plain, stripes, subtle patterns or textured. Recently started making blouses, and those seem to be more patterned, still low key, but mostly floral (my current impossible dream fabric is Liberty Lawn). I have a very limited color palette that I choose from, so it all mostly coordinates
  • CCL likes this
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 02:49:54 AM »
I seem to recall that plains were in fashion for many years (90s well into 00s) and dominated patterns with florals being 'grannie only' for so long I almost despaired of them ever coming back. I hope fashion doesn't go down that path again too soon.

I think my wardrobe consists of a mixture of all three.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Kwaaked

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 06:12:01 AM »
I'm another who is evenly mixed, clothes and stash.

I just ironed the clothes I wore last week.  Most I made.

geometric print dress, various colors
Navy skirt, navy/lime abstract floral patterned top (more navy then green)
orange dress (sounds terribly loud but it's a weird color...not really orange, not pink and both dark and bright at the same time)
dark brown skirt, olive shirt
jeans with sashiko (variety of patterned and textured fabrics on medium indigo), navy t- shirt with printing (nothing matched...but no one notices)
beige pants, beige top
navy satin skirt, chiffon print top
navy sheath
printed caftan

In any given week, I usually wear more solids then patterns, but I can also have weeks where I wear more patterns then solids.  My stash is about 50/50, but usually because I wear such bright colors I wear something solid with it instead of all patterns like a dress.  It is not that I like separates better, just that it is not overwhelming me with too much of anything.  Plus I often wear more avant garde lite clothing in details, and solids tend to lend better to it.

Also season has a lot to do with it, and where I am at the time.  I wear more patterned clothes in the summer then the winter, and more plaids in the winter then other prints.  I also tend to tone down everything when working with brides, and usually on Saturdays all I wear is a plain sheath in a dark color (I have 6 of them, same dress different color and fabric).  On the same token, I tend to go the other way with social events in the community with more eye catching outfits, which does include color and prints.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 09:22:10 AM »
Most of what I sew is patterned, but plains are needed to offset the patterns.  In winter especially it's plain trousers, often black, with patterned tops, but come summer I wear mostly dresses and they are nearly all patterned - stripes, batiks, florals ....
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 18:18:52 PM »
Mainly patterns and when I do use plain I usually embroider something on it. The only plain things I have are RWT tee shirts.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

mudcat

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 22:51:22 PM »
I am attracted to prints and my stash reflects that.  Very few solids.  But I noticed that what I buy is mostly solids in black or more recently olive.

My work "uniform" consists of pants, sleeveless top and cardigan of which there is usually two solids and a print in the mix. And nearly always at least one piece is a black solid or print. It's the most dominate color in my wardrobe.