The Sewing Place

McCalls M7094

b15erk

McCalls M7094
« on: April 18, 2017, 09:13:02 AM »
Anyone made this?  I cut it out at the weekend, as I'd left the dress I was doing at work.  I started very well, but then came the placket, which I'm finding pretty fiddly.  I was going to do it my own way, then decided no, I'll follow the instructions which are very sparse, and include hand sewing.  The instructions say to sew the band on, then make the pleat at the bottom, and I'm struggling with this.  I might just unpick, and do the pleat first.

Just read the Pattern Review, and someone else had problems with the placket, and all had size issues.  Good job this one is in the nature of a toile! It'll probably look like Farmer Giles's smock!  :o

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

Re: McCalls M7094
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 12:39:37 PM »
OK girls, I've just read a few more reviews, and I've decided to abandon the instructions.

I'd already noticed last night that the placket was looking bulky, and the pleat was going to be a faff.  So, I've unpicked the plackets, and will use a different technique, which hopefully should lay nice and flat.  The pleat?  Well, I don't know how that will behave, most people hate it anyway, so I may leave it off the next one.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 10:27:06 AM »
Well, I did it my way (feel free to join in the chorus), and it looks great.  The bulky placket has gone, and the neck band is waiting to be overlocked.

The only thing I'm not happy about is the front pleat.  I really don't like it, and it is unnecessary IMO.  I just need to figure out how to remove this without spoiling the placket.  There's also some excess fullness at the back - too many gathers at the yoke edge, but that's easily sorted.

The fabric is horrible, and smells when the iron goes near it, but, great for work.  Doesn't crease, and won't need much ironing.  The next one will be in a rather nicer fabric.  :)

Jessie

Jessie

Fabric Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 14:08:43 PM »
I've had my eye on that pattern for some time so I'm disappointed to hear about the issues, Jessie. Could you stitch down the pleat to reduce bulk?
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 14:13:44 PM »
FL, it's not so much the bulk, more that it's unnecessary.  Definitely going to make it again as I love the style, particularly for work, nothing gaping open, no flappy collars.

The main thing I've done here is to update the techniques, and doing a burrito style yoke.

Going to finish it off now, then I'll put a picture up.  :)

Jessie

Fabric Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 21:07:26 PM »

FL, it's not so much the bulk, more that it's unnecessary.  Definitely going to make it again as I love the style, particularly for work, nothing gaping open, no flappy collars.

The main thing I've done here is to update the techniques, and doing a burrito style yoke.
I know what you mean about an unnecessary pleat, I have something the same in a top that I made. Looking forward to seeing what a burrito style yoke is!  :\
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Didi

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 21:46:34 PM »
I was going to cut this out tomorrow  :'( sounds like a right faff I may not bother it does look a nice top though

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 08:58:18 AM »
Didi, it really is a nice top.  I eventually ignored the placket instructions, and used my own technique which is very easy.

It went together beautifully and the neckline is very nice.  I altered the sleeves as I didn't want that tab thing, and I think next time I'll take some fullness out.

Ready to overlock the sleeves and sew the side seams now, as soon as I've figured out the side split I like to put in.

It will have to wait though, as I want to get a wiggle on with DD's maternity dress.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 16:13:06 PM »
OK, finished.  It's wearable for work.  A lovely style, and I will make it again in a far nicer fabric.  This fabric is not nice, and doesn't hang well.

Issues:  It does run a bit big, and I'll make the next size down next time; the pleat at the front has no purpose, and makes the front look bulky; sleeves could do with slimming down, there's a lot of ease there; I will not use their technique for either the yoke or the placket.  I did a sort of burrito method for the yoke, and the placket and neckband look much neater done on the overlocker.

Here's a couple of pics.

Jessie

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 18:54:26 PM »
That's lovely.  Glad you were able to find a better solution for the placket.  :)  I don't why pattern cutters have to make these little things unnecessarily complicated.  :(

Didi

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 20:59:00 PM »
That looks lovely maybe I will give it a go.