The Sewing Place

FQQ

hernibs

FQQ
« on: August 12, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »
As you all know I am not a quilter or a patchwork person.....but just heard on Saturday that a woman from our church whom I know well and know her wonderful quilting work had a quilt at FQQ - wondering if any of you noticed this quilt which was all the books of the Bible depicted sitting on shelves.  I've seen it many times as she brought it to our church hall for different exhibitions.  I understand she got Judges' choice - not often someone from over here even goes over there...or maybe I've just not heard of them.
Her work is outstanding - she decorates a window for Harvest Thanksgiving with all sorts of quilting and hand made 'fruits and veg'.  She is also a Paediatric Doctor and is battling cancer  at the moment, also looking after a frail mother.  Despite this she gets time to be creative.

twopence

Re: FQQ
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 12:16:39 PM »
My daughter (aka @Jobunnie ) and I spent a while looking at this quilt and all the work that went into it.

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 12:42:04 PM »
I also spent time admiring this beautiful quilt.  Thank you, @hernibs for sharing your friend's story.

hernibs

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »
Oh I'm so glad some of you took time to enjoy the detail....I have a photo of it but have no idea how to post it.
The friend I met on Saturday has decided she is going to save up to go to FQQ next year (we need a flight and at least one overnight stay)  as she is passionate about quilting.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 18:58:21 PM »
How did I miss this? :(
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 06:07:40 AM »
@hernibs  ... I would advise your friend to start looking for accommodation now ..... either on site as it were or close to a station as the NEC and the train station are a short walk, undercover, from each other.

And of course I will be offering discounted tickets as usual next year ... the only tickets that I cant get discounts on are the VIP ones, which she may well want to go for as its a special occasion ... whether they are worth the extra cost I cant say, you would have to ask someone else about that.

Two days is definitely the minimum you need to enjoy FOQ, it is HUGE! And would you be coming along too ????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 08:54:38 AM »
What do you get for VIP tickets at FOQ?
I paid extra the first time I went to Knitting and Stitching at Harrogate - wouldn't bother again.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 09:16:57 AM »
What do you get for VIP tickets at FOQ?
I paid extra the first time I went to Knitting and Stitching at Harrogate - wouldn't bother again.

Early access to VIP lounge (don't have to queue up with the rest of the riff-raff us)
Free gift
free tea and coffee in the VIP lounge
Access to the VIP lounge for the one day on which your ticket is valid.
Use of the VIP Cloakroom for the day on which your ticket is valid.
A show guide posted one week in advance of the show.  though some people received theirs the week after the show
Discounted Workshop/talk/lecture/class

Did you think it was good value for money, @Lowena ?

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 09:26:28 AM »
Thank you.
The 'lounge' at K&S Harrogate turned out to be an area in one of the halls with tables and chairs surrounded by a low fence, oh and I think there was an area behind the ticket booth where you could hang your coat. I had paid in case I wanted a quiet area to retreat to - this was just as noisy as it was in the middle of everything.

Actually the best trick at Harrogate and one I happily passed on to others was that they used to open the doors to the old theatre/concert hall next to the main entrance to ticket holders (anyone with a ticket for that day) before the main entrance opened. So you could get a coffee and have a seat before the fun started.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 09:52:12 AM »
I would definitely    go Vip again
Triumph of hope over experience :D

RJR_38

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 13:57:00 PM »
I’ve been VIP once and ‘normal’ twice - personally I wouldn’t go VIP again but that’s because I don’t really drink tea or coffee and it’s summer and so have no coat/need of the cloakroom. I always arrive at around 9.50 so there is a queue that looks long but it moves very quickly once they open so I am in by 10.05/10.10. To me I can’t justify the VIP price for 10 minutes less queuing.

The only advantages I can see if you are like me are that you are probably more likely to get a seat at lunchtime (this can often be a challenge) and if you intend to book several workshops the discount might be worth it.