The Sewing Place

Pre-washing

snoozi soozi

Pre-washing
« on: August 21, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »
Are you ready for my latest  :o question?

When pre-washing new fabric, not got any  :devil: do you do this on it's own or bung it in with a laundry load? Does it matter?
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

wrenkins

Re: Pre-washing
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 12:49:04 PM »
I always pre-wash for two reasons.
1. to check for colour bleeding so defo NOT in my laundry and
2. for shrinkage. The second will make not a jot of difference to my wash unless it's a strong colour. see no1
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

jintie

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 12:51:47 PM »
I put new fabric in a bowl or bucket then cover it with heated water. Temperature depending on fabric type- silk or wool,  same temp as I would wash my hair.  Linen or cotton- boiling water from the kettle to get the shrinkage over with.  Then wring manually and gently squeeze in a towel, then hang over something to dry.
Rottweiler with scissors

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 12:56:00 PM »
I never pre wash anything
Triumph of hope over experience :D

coffeeandcake

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 13:22:12 PM »
I always put it in with a laundry load which is being washed at a suitable temperature.  We have metered water and so we're careful not to waste any :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 14:01:15 PM »
Usually it’s on its own but that’s because I will have several pieces to do at once. 

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 14:15:12 PM »
It depends on what the fabric is made from.  If I'm pretty sure the colour won't run (i e it's white or I'm doing a load of dark stuff along with a dark fabric) I'll chuck it in with my usual load (as long as there's not too much fabric or too many clothes) along with a colour catcher sheet.  Precious or differently coloured fabrics will get done separately depending on what the content of the fabric is.  Either way I'll use the smallest amount of detergent (I use powder) in with it as it's hardly dirty. 

@Francesca  if you overlock the ends of your fabric together in a big circle, it doesn't get as tangled in the machine or wrap itself in knots. x

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 14:18:07 PM »
I'm with @wrenkins.  I will also do it by itself if I am impatient, ad do a load of fabric all together if I have a batch of like-minded fabric all in need of a prewash.

No reason not to treat it as a finished garment if I'm sure it won't misbehave.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 15:16:08 PM »
I always wash my fabrics first and always use a colour catcher and then keep the catcher and write on it which fabric it has come from.

Once I decided to wash some green fabric suitable for trousers, there was enough for two pairs, and oh what a disaster.  The fabric went board like and came out all battered and bruised and as stiff as anything, such a shame as that was one of the fabrics that I have two lots of contrasting green fabric to go with this - doesn't usually happen to have toning colours.  I have often thought that I would machine embroider this fabric in an attempt to try and hide the battered look but so far haven't got around to this.

I also always overlock the ends of the fabric - doesn't take long but saves any loose threads from getting all tangled up, then once dry I iron and put the fabric away in a bag marked as to what is inside and that it has been washed.

Roger

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 15:34:00 PM »
I throw black fabrics in with my jeans in case they bleed them darker! :)

But generally stuff gets washed on its own marginally hotter than the wash temperature for the whole garment. Gets the shrink done to within tolerance...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 16:02:42 PM »
It depends on the fabric and the colour.

If I think it's likely to run I either wash it alone or maybe with other items of a similar colour, but usually it gets put into the washing machine along with other items that are likely to be washed along with that fabric once made up.

I always overlock the cut edges using whatever colour the machine happens to be threaded with, it's my way of knowing that it has been pre-washed.

I don't prewash P&Q fabrics but I do give wadding a gentle wash because that does shrin.  It doesn't disintegrate in the washing machine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sakar

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 16:09:32 PM »
I generally don't pre-wash patchwork fabrics, not before sewing, not before using it.

I DO pre-wash finished clothes before wearing it for the first time. :)

In any case I do everything at home in my washing machine.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 16:11:43 PM by Sakar »

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 16:58:28 PM »
Because I invariably use a tumble drier to dry my washing, and that is a bugger for shrinking things I always dry pre washed fabric in the tumble drier.  If I'm using something like denim for jeans I wash and dry it 2 or 3 times before using it so that I know it has got all its shrinking over and done with.
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 17:22:24 PM »
Always wash clothing fabric... never wash quilting fabric. I usually have enough to fill a load! :o

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 17:42:45 PM »

I DO pre-wash finished clothes before wearing it for the first time. :)

The reason for prewashing isn't about cleaning the fabric, it's about avoiding any nasty surprises like shrinkage BEFORE you spend a lot of time sewing.  No point in spending hours making something to wear only to find that washing makes it shange size and so not fit.  Much better to wash before you cut out.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.