The Sewing Place

The scaling thing has happened again!!

b15erk

The scaling thing has happened again!!
« on: April 21, 2017, 10:51:19 AM »
I've been having trouble with the scaling when printing off pdf's, but I bought another pattern yesterday, hoping that this time it would be OK.

Last time on the Bernina Shirtdress, I didn't even bother printing the pattern off.  On a 10cm (4") scale, the print was coming up at 9.6cms (3.7"), and the error just seemed too much for me to get an accurate pattern off it.

This pattern comes from the MC2 Patterns Platform, and on a 5cm (2") scale, we are looking at 4.8cms (1.8").

Not sure whether to chance it, or not.  Up to now I don't believe there have been any reliable fixes for the problem.  Maybe I need to play with the scaling myself.... :S

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

Re: The scaling thing has happened again!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 11:06:32 AM »
Are you printing at 100% or is your computer making it "fit the paper"  Last time that happened to me it the computer was wanting to print at 97% - it was just a case of changing the box with 97% to 100%

If you are printing at 100% and it's still small try printing at 102% or 105% and find by trial and error what comes out right.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:11:13 AM »
Thanks Brenda, I've emailed the company, and in the meantime, I'm testing various settings.  Did you find an exact match for the test square, or was it just 'good enough'?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 11:17:18 AM »
Considering it's happened with a few patterns now it seems more likely to be a local setting than an issue with the file itself.

Can you share a screenshot of the print settings when you go to print?

What is the accuracy of your printer stated at in the manual?

Are you selecting "100%" on the printer settings, not "fit" or "scale"?

Are you using the correct paper and settings on your printer (I expect A4 for both)?

Are you sure that you're using the pattern designed for A4 printing, not American legal or letter?

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »
Well, I've had a result.   Completely out of the blue, and it seems to have worked.  After going into all the PAge Setup, and advanced settings etc, all I did was to click Actual Size - and I think I'm good to go:)

First thing that's gone right today!  I might try the Bernina Shirtdress while I seem to be on a roll:)

Thanks so much for jogging my brain into action Brenda!  <3

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 11:22:16 AM »
I think I was typing as you were posting Fran.  Thanks so much for the checklist, it seems the 'Actual Size' thing works this time:)

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 12:34:15 PM »
Two patterns now printed and ready to be stuck together.  I've been waiting so long to do the Bernina Shirtdress....

I'm now a very happy bunny  :)

:drink: :snip: :vintage:
Jessie