The Sewing Place

2nd quilt ever made now finished! (and the rights and wrongs!)

KayK

Well, here is the second quilt I've ever made now finished!  Another learning curve for me indeed.  This time, it was the cutting that nearly did for me.  As mentioned before I started with the Gemini die cutter. Not good, not good at all. (it went back to Amazon).  I then purchased some acrylic shapes - not that good either as my rotary cutting skills are not that good (still).  Third and final cutting was done with an Accuquilt die cutter - not cheap but brilliant.  Its also amazing how what is supposed to be a standard size isn't.  The same size shape in all three methods wasn't, so my 12" blocks weren't actually the same size - and I can do a mean 1\4" seam!

I didn't like the wadding I used - Heirloom cotton, and the backing was a very good quality egyptian cotton sheet from eBay for a tenner!.  Still quite expensive to make the whole thing tho. The fabric was Lynette Anderson's Dancing in the blossoms, but some of the colours were too subtle (for me, anyway)

I'm having a mini break from patchwork, as I don't have a stash, but am playing with more free motion which I love!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

BrendaP

Re: 2nd quilt ever made now finished! (and the rights and wrongs!)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »
If that's only your second ever quilt it's superb, and with FMQ as well.  :loveit:

Whilst the origins of patchwerk were to use up scraps from other projects and thus be very cost effective, nowadays we tend to buy all new fabric and so the cost does rack up when you think about it.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kitten

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 11:26:03 AM »
That's a lovely quilt, well done.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 13:54:24 PM »
That's brilliant!  I got to my 10th quilt before I tried FMQ, but I've also taken to it, to my great surprise!  Did you quilt yours in sections?  Mine was ony 50 inches square, but was quite big enough to do in one go!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

KayK

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 21:55:11 PM »
That's brilliant!  I got to my 10th quilt before I tried FMQ, but I've also taken to it, to my great surprise!  Did you quilt yours in sections?  Mine was ony 50 inches square, but was quite big enough to do in one go!

I did quilt in sections - as I made it in strips of 12" blocks, then joined them when quilted with wide bias binding - it was all a bit of an experiment really!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 08:51:01 AM »
I must agree the FMQ in that picture is exceptional ... well done you!

I tried FMQ once (shudders at the thought) never again!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 09:01:51 AM »
I tried it on Sunday with a view to adding it to my mug rug.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! So no!
Do you think it's like plastering? You can either do it or you can't!
Obviously you're one of the gifted ones. That is fab!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 09:08:22 AM »
Lovely quilt, and only your 2nd?  Very envious.

Your FMQ is beautiful, I've not done any for years and then it was a hard fought battle to get it right.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

RJR_38

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 21:33:12 PM »
Your FMQ is great! Well done. I was truly terrible at the beginning - it was birds nests and giant eyelashes galore. Then I did a half day workshop on FMQ and with lots of guidance I was able to do it. I still can’t do anything small and detailed or follow drawn pictures etc but I can do basic meandering, stippling and simple irregular shapes like waves. I have even managed to do a large wall hanging as puzzle pieces. I’ve yet to enjoy FMQ though!

KayK

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 19:59:17 PM »
 :DThank you all for your kind comments.  FMQ is a marmite thing - some machines are better at it than others, and you just have to play and play until you get the speed of the machine and the speed of your hands right!  To be honest I have found out several things!
1. It is easier to hoop it rather than splay your fingers out or wear the wretched gloves.  An ordinary cheap wooden hoop will do!
2. A straight stitch plate makes life easier, as does a decent free-motion foot with a spring
3. Dont spend a fortune on those 'slider' things that go on the machine bed - a non-stick oven mat for about 3 squids will do.
4. The slower you run the machine and the slower you move the fabric the bigger the stitch.  The opposite applies.
5. Practice, practice.  The youtube tutorials are good, but the people who put them on there have done it hundreds of times and are seriously good.  It's very off-putting when you try and doesn't come out like that at all. 
6. Always remember to bring the bobbin thread to the surface, take a couple of weeny stitches and then cut them off.  Nothing comes undone and you dont get an unholy tangle underneath!

And as for the machines - The Juki is marvellous as it is so, so fast, with a straight stitch only, a free motion foot that weighs a ton with a huge spring in it. The old Bernina is neat and precise, but slow.  The V5 is ok, but the feet are rubbish and the foot pedal is painfully slow to react.

I have started doing some 'sketches' as well - I have the Good, the Bad and the Ugly!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 20:02:03 PM by KayK »