The Sewing Place

How many unfinished quilts or other Darkside projects have you got right now?

Lowena

Honestly
I ask because I don't usually have any.... but....... somehow I have found myself with the following :
Temperature quilt - I know it's ongoing but I'm only up to May  :S
Fancy Forest quilt, blocks made but needs to be reassembled and finished off
Linus quilt being made to use up surplus blocks ( from FOQ Linus quilt ) extra blocks needed then fleece backing.
For me, this amount of ongoing stuff is unheard of ( glances at @Iminei who has at least a hundred UFOs  :devil: ) and I must clear the backlog as I have patterns for 2 new quilts ( Awesome Ocean and Dogs in Sweaters ) shouting at me from their drawers.
Also, OH wants me to make 2 large Union Flag cushions ( but in different colourways ) for a new sofa.
Are you able to settle and concentrate on something new when there are things to be finished off??
Please share your tips.......
How do you rekindle love for a project which has been put aside??
P.S Have you cleared your backlog yet @Pearl ??  :ninja:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 19:29:22 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lilian

I got interested in P&Q a couple of years ago. All my life I have wanted to make a quilt.  I started doing the BOMs that Iminei was creating.  I have most of those but none match in colour so I haven't used them – yet!

I started making blocks from a Dresden plate pattern intending to make them into fans appliqued onto 10 inch squares.  It is to be a full size double bed cover. Haven't looked at it for almost a year!

Then when I went to a quilt show at Uttoxeter racecourse a couple of years ago I saw a made up quilt and wanted to try to recreate it and they sold me everything I needed fabric-wise but I haven't looked at that either yet!  It is a Christmassy thing but I don't do Christmas. Oh dear!!!
Willing but not always able :)

Pearl

Are you able to settle and concentrate on something new when there are things to be finished off??
Please share your tips.......
How do you rekindle love for a project which has been put aside??
P.S Have you cleared your backlog yet @Pearl ??  :ninja:

Surprisingly, no. 

Despite my determination, I have only finished one of the nine UFOs I had at the start of the year, and that is only because poor DS1 had waited four years for a quilt.  In fact, I seem to have created more UFOs - temperature quilt, scrappy log cabin (although that only needs a scrappy binding) and a QAYG quilt for Quilts for Care Leavers.

As for how to rekindle the love, some of my UFOs I still love and just need to find time to get them finished.  Others, I don't love and am not sure what to do with them.   Luckily, my P&Q group has started meeting twice a month and this has helped me to make progress.

At times, I do feel overwhelmed by the number of projects I have on the go. 

@Lilian , I sent some of my TSP BOMs to the Quilts for Care Leavers group last year and they made orphan block quilts.  The lady from Just Get It Done Quilts on YouTube defined a UFO as a project you haven't worked on for a year.  That made me feel a bit better.

Lilian

I've not heard of Quilts for Care Leavers @Pearl . I'll have a look at what I want to keep and then consider that option.  Thank you  :flower:
Willing but not always able :)

twopence

I am currently FMQing a disappearing nine patch quilt.  It's not brilliant but as its for me its good practice and I have undone a few areas to redo.

I have to create something interesting using at least one fabric of three given by the teacher in my weekly group for our first class next week.

I have a quilt top waiting to be layered up and then quilted using stencils.  I am waiting to get a needle with a double eye to stitch it with. 

I have the finished panels for the redwork quilt so need to get on with the piecing part as I have to hide it all while DS and partner are here.  I'll need to fend off questions about when I can make them new cushion covers for their new sofa with a butterfly for her and a bear for him too.

Then I have the fabrics pressed and ready to cut out a baby quilt for a new arrival due at the start of December.  I just need to work out my pattern so know what pieces to cut and may need some solid to go with it.

Then there are a couple more kits in the box and I want to make unicorns for the two little girls in the family for Christmas.

I'd better get on.  Ooops I forgot about the mug rug swap.

Kenora

I don't have any unfinished Darkside projects. :angel: That isn't to say I don't have any unfinished projects! I still have a pair of Style Arc trousers that have been on the go for about 2 years, and any number of different projects for my various charities. :D I do fall out of love with things but if I'm in the right mood I can make myself have a blitz on my UFO's. 0_0

On reading this I remembered a quilt I'd started to cut out last month - it will be a child's quilt and has sloths on it. So I'm not quite an angel after all!  -<
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 21:40:36 PM by Kenora »
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sandra

Apart from the temperature quilt, and the Murder Mystery quilt, which are both set to carry on until New Year at least, I've got several other ones which might, or might not, get finished one day.

This quilt top was my very, very first attempt. Didn't know what I was doing. Didn't follow any obvious 'block'. Just wanted to try to make a quilt.  Wanted a 'vintage'-feel to go in the old property I nearly bought with my ex-boyfriend.
This has been lying around for about...ooooohhhh.....25 years?
Dug it out last summer to have a look at it for the first time in years, and remembered to take a photo of it before I packed it away again.

Then I've got the lovely fruity shimmer one from a couple of years ago, and the little sticks one I did earlier this year. I'd like to finish those one day.

And I did an African Ladies quilt top last year. Don't have a photo of the blocks stitched together, but this is when I was playing around with the positions of them.

I'm OK at sewing...but I'm not a quilter.
I fully intend to finish all of these one day. I've got the backing, and the wadding for a couple of them.  ><

Sandra.
xxx

Kenora

@Sandra - you should finish those quilts - they'll be beautiful. :flower:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lowena

They're lovely @Sandra you can't just leave them unfinished  :S

mudcat

I checked the UFO challenge on this site and found I had listed these three but there could be more.  It's hard to say.

Quilt for niece #1 - needs binding (and has for well over 10 years)   :S
Quilt for niece #2 - partial top ... not really sure what it needs but it will take some time to complete
Lap quilt gold/purple: top complete, needs quilting and binding ...and backing now that I think about it

Ploshkin

Re: How many unfinished quilts or other Darkside projects have you got right now?
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 08:00:29 AM »
I was going to say no (if I start a quilt I finish it) but I've remembered that I still have the first quilt top I made, about 10 years ago.  It's a jelly roll sampler quilt and it has previously been layered and pinned.  I hadn't a clue how to go about quilting it and at that time I didn't have a suitable machine and it got put in a cupboard.   But after about 3 years in the cupboard I unlayered it because the pins were starting to get a bit rusty.  I washed it (big, big mistake), ironed it and rolled it round a cardboard tube ant it is now propped in the corner of the sewing room.
I should get it out, finish it and donate it - sampler quilts are too bitty fir my liking but at the time it was a brilliant intro to cutting and piecing - it was a Pam & Nicky Lintott block of the month I discovered.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

Re: How many unfinished quilts or other Darkside projects have you got right now?
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 08:25:34 AM »
I have 2 books by the Lintotts I like their patterns for precuts

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 08:36:39 AM »
I know you (  @Lowena ) are expecting me to contribute to this thread ... (and give everyone a good laugh in the process)

but as Emily Blunt said to Anne Hathaway in TDWP ... Shan't!    :P
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 09:09:25 AM »
I do usually finish darkside stuff, but I do have this quilt top  which has been in this state for about three years.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I also have 18 Dresden plate blocks

and a pile of lozenge blocks, 12 brown, 12 green and 9 coffee colour.

and no idea as to how I will use them  :S
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 09:42:12 AM »
Ah, Brenda has reminded me, I have 12 Manx quilted log cabin blocks.  They are a continuous thing until I run out of the fabric.  They're hand sewn so will probably come out again for the longer nights.
Life's too short for ironing.