The Sewing Place

Questions from a Machine Embroidery Virgin.

Iminei

Re: Questions from a Machine Embroidery Virgin.
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2019, 14:58:55 PM »
How on earth could you rehoop the fabric and get the design right ????  :S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2019, 15:30:24 PM »
I have that tree design in the smallest size, and I can confirm that the size refers to the overall tree with one set of leaves in place, as in the top part of the picture.  The individual leaves below are also supplied with the pattern, to be added separately.

I haven't actually stitched it myself, but you would have to rehoop the fabric so that the sewing area was where you wanted the next leaf to be, and then tweak it when in place (my machine lets you move up and down and rotate the design).

Urban Threads has a tutorial for using their split designs that shows you how to do it using templates.

I believe that some split designs - where the positioning of the next part has to be precise - have a temporary finishing stitch for the first part and starting stitch for the second part which you line up, and remove when you've finished.  I may be wrong about this though, because I don't think I've used one like that!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2019, 15:40:27 PM »
Thank you very much for that Acorn ....

Do split designs usually have the templates for each stage included???

Acorn

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2019, 15:56:32 PM »
No - you have to print out the design itself from an embroidery design program - even the most basic, free program will let you do this.

Iminei

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2019, 16:05:19 PM »
Sorry to be an utter schmuck but how?

Acorn

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2019, 16:11:56 PM »
Open the embroidery file (the one ending in .pes for Brother machines, I think) in the program.  Click on 'File' at the top left and choose 'print' from the menu (or 'print preview' if there is one and you want to check it out first).

Iminei

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2019, 16:14:50 PM »
Thank you ... Ill stop being a putz for today!

Acorn

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2019, 16:16:53 PM »
Ooh - and Urban Threads have a tutorial for template printing, too!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2019, 18:31:40 PM »
Certainly the hawk design has what they call alignment stitches.  They are stitched T the end of one part of the design. Then the fabric is moved in the hoop to the correct position for the next part.  The tutorial for the hawk seems quite good.  Before the next part of the design is stitched, the alignment stitches are stitched.  They usually have to stitch exactly over the top of the last lot.  That way you know the design will line up properly.   As Acorn says, you would probably have to tweak the position slightly.  When I’ve split and sewn designs I used small crosses as alignment markings.  That way you know it lines up vertically and horizontally. 

Iminei

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2019, 18:01:11 PM »
Im sorry @Ohsewsimple  but that is gobbledegook to me ... I really need to see or do ...

If you find a sad girl sat on your front step one morning with Elvis ??/

Next Question.

I want to ME (text) on an already layered and quilted item ... Which stabilizer should I use, if any ??

(I know, I know I have done this with The Village but for the life of me I cant remember what I did ... Dementia anyone?)

Thanking you, fonts of all wisdom

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2019, 20:08:59 PM »
@Iminei you are more than welcome to come over if you’d like to.  I know it’s really confusing reading it all because it’s all new terminology.   So much easier to see in action.
 Using the multi position hoop for designs is quite different to designs which need multi hoopings.

With regards to the quilt.  It’s not something I do.  My first thought was sticky stabiliser as I would be wary of hooping it if it was thick.  But sticky means hooping the stabiliser and then sticking the quilt on top so I’m wondering if the top of the quilt would be too loose and move.

Kad

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2019, 20:39:56 PM »

Next Question.

I want to ME (text) on an already layered and quilted item ... Which stabilizer should I use, if any ??

(I know, I know I have done this with The Village but for the life of me I cant remember what I did ... Dementia anyone?)

I have a Janome 11000 SE so it may be different for your 'Brother', but I have a specific hoop for quilted items - there is no inner hoop which holds the fabric in the outer hoop which attaches to the machine, but rather magnetic clips which tension the fabric layers onto the outer hoop. This needs no stabiliser and doesn't put any strain on the standard hoops
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 08:35:19 AM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Nuttywife59

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2019, 11:22:39 AM »
If its already layered and quilted you shouldn't need any stabaliser. When I did the quilting on my quilt top I just hooped it straight into my hoop. If you are not sure try just layering some fabric so if same thickness and have a go on that first. Ive got quite a few odd bits of different pieces I have had a go on first before I done it on the good piece.

Iminei

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2019, 11:59:51 AM »
Thanks Girls ...

Ive just spent a goodly amount on Embilibrary some beautiful mehindi designs as I was give n a 50% off voucher as its my birthday! (later in the month)  .. Woo Hooo!

Unfortunately Urban Threads, who do the mehendika alphabet I lust after, doesnt do discounts so I will have to buy expensive letter by expensive letter Sigh!

Now to make some birthday coasters for my Auntie Gell ... (guess which letter I bought ??  :P )

Nuttywife59

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2019, 22:01:36 PM »
Urban threads used to have really good sales at one time but don't seem to do them much now.