The Sewing Place

basics needed

Catllar

basics needed
« on: November 05, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
SO I made this: Excuse numb face look! The phone went off by itself before I'd arrange d myself into prime Instagram selfie pose!  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

SkoutSews

Re: basics needed
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »
I like that, it's an excellent basic. Very French!

Morzel

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 12:32:35 PM »
Well done on that Vneck! Lovely shirt, and lovely basic. You can wear it with lots of things and it still is not boring.
Eva

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 12:57:16 PM »
That's an excellent V neck, what's the secret? I avoid Vs as can never get a neat point of the V.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 13:33:20 PM »
Thank you! My first V neck and wasn't till I'd cut the front  I realised it needed to be well centred in order not to look wonky against the stripes!

My secret? well of course, if I tell you I may have to keel you! Or not! Cos you're all nice people.

Used wonder tape to stabilise the opening as soon as it was cut, then more of the stuff to baste the neck band in place  ( we'll skip the part where I stuck it on the wrong side first, shall we?)

Apart from that it was a standard method I guess - stitched the V into the centre of the band,  thenjoined ends together, folded band wrong sides together, pinned it round the opening, stitched the V first then clipped into it and then stitched the rest.  Wasn't my favourite neck but I'll know better for another time. It's not easy doing the point,  you have to take your time. Pressed to death. I did topstitch  but as it went a bit wonky I pulled it all out.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 17:08:39 PM »
I love that fabric, I got into stripes last year but it's a question of getting the right distance between them.  That looks very professional and definitely not 'home made'.  Not too keen on the neck, but that's just me, more  rounded suits me better.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 11:35:04 AM »
Thanks @Gernella .

I know what you mean about the V neck - not overfond but decided it was time to try to make one. I prefer a scoop or boat neck too.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 15:52:36 PM »
Trouble is I've got that many that apart from colour and pattern are with a round neck, I'm stuck in a rut with them.  I need to find something that is not too fiddly and makes them look different. One of the things I found with RTW is that they had the equipment to embellish to make them stand out (when I say embellishments I don't mean sequins or similar).

Come to think of it @Catllar,  I have a Palmer Pleitsh pattern with a boat neck, i quite like those.  It had a V neck on one style, which I had to fiddle with to get right. I have made the boat neck once, but it was when I first started making tops and the fabric wasn't that brilliant so it got thrown out.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 16:43:20 PM »
I think the v-neck looks really nice on you - and beautifully sewn.

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 17:46:31 PM »
Thank you BandS!

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 17:48:31 PM »
How about a cowl neck @Gernella ? Have you tried that?

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 18:11:32 PM »
Funny you should say that @Catllar, that was the last pattern I made up as a top.  I'm not that keen on cowls but thought I would try it.  Tried on without the sleeves in and it seemed alright so finished off and put away for an unveiling day.  It came out, put on but for some reason the cowl part was suddenly much deeper down the front than  when I tried on.  I didn't waste time figuring what was wrong and just shoved away, and forgot about out it. 

Fabric Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 19:29:32 PM »
Great top and beautifully completed neckline
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 05:36:50 AM »
Lovely! And the shirt's not bad either.  :flower:

Looks terrific. Everything about it is really good. The only problem I see is that it isn't my size. Can you go a bit larger on the next one please?
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 07:25:41 AM »
I love a v neck but struggle to get them perfect.  Yours is perfect, @Catllar .  Can I snitch it when you're fed up with it?  :devil: