The Sewing Place

I have found another one

Lowena

I have found another one
« on: November 06, 2019, 09:49:32 AM »
As you may know I am struggling with having several projects on the go or unfinished. I hate it.
I don't know how it happened and I am trying to clear the backlog asap.
Now I have found some blocks I simply cannot remember making
The fabric is unsuitable for Linus or Quilts for Care Leavers and in my experience Hospices, Care Homes etc won't take them as laundering is a problem.
I can't have quilts hanging around at home and no one wants them, so...... any ideas of a charity shop which might help ( some are picky) or shall I just take them to the local Oxfam recycling collection bin?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

Re: I have found another one
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 10:11:54 AM »
I would have thought a local charity shop (Hospice, something like that) might be more likely to take an unfinished project.  I can certainly think of one or two around here.

Failing that, do you use Freecycle or Freegle?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 10:25:17 AM »
@Acorn they won't be unfinished. I will complete them all.
Some charity shops need fire labels and won't take finished items without.
Just wondered if I could offload them all at once on an unsuspecting shop without travelling the length and breadth of Norfolk...... A big county  :D
I think BHF may be less picky but am not sure

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »
Barnardo's here generally have a good selection of textiles, and I can't imagine that most of them have fire labels.  I can also think of a charity shop in Cardigan that often has handmade stuff (sometimes truly appalling stuff - they would be delighted with yours!) but it is a local children's charity.

Legally I think the fire labelling only matters for things clearly aimed at children - although Project Linus doesn't have any requirements does it?  And I'm sure they know what's what!  Mind you, charity shops will interpret it the way they want to.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 10:43:11 AM »
Down here, the Air Ambulance charity shop accepts anything we wish to donate. Do you have an air ambulance in Norfolk?
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 10:50:27 AM »
Not sure @Kenora

Flobear

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 12:28:10 PM »
Could an organisation like the Salvation Army possibly use them?
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Elnnina

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 12:43:57 PM »
Yes there is an Air Ambulance in Norfolk - it is  based at the Norfolk and Norwich Airport and thus part of East Anglia, and their other place is based over at Cambridge, so why not contact them and ask about whether they will accept your quilts - thus this could then be your place to donate your quilts after all the Air Ambulances wherever they are do a magnificent job.  (a good few years ago now my daughter's then partner came off his motorbike on a country road - no one else involved and he had to be air lifted to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford - this was New Year's Day - they didn't expect him to make it but he did - so wherever there is an Air Ambulance base I am sure they would welcome any sort of donation)

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 13:23:29 PM »
Thanks everyone. It'll spur me on to finish them......I HATE Ufos

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 14:48:04 PM »
The fabric is unsuitable for Linus or Quilts for Care Leavers and in my experience Hospices, Care Homes etc won't take them as laundering is a problem.

What the hell is it and whats it made of .. Sacred White Gorilla Hair ????

Pics please !!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 16:27:28 PM »
Sorry @Iminei I meant the design of the fabric...a bit Laura Ashley / Cath Kitson.

Pearl

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 18:28:37 PM »
Q4CL have a block group.  I sent my orphan blocks to them last year, including some of the previous year's TSP BOMs.  Someone might be able to incorporate them into an orphan block quilt.  Apparently, scrappy was very popular.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 18:29:30 PM »
Thanks @Pearl

Pearl

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 18:32:15 PM »
I intend to send them one of my UFOs, @Lowena .  I need to get rid of them somehow.   :P

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 18:33:35 PM »
 :D  :D that's a very good idea