The Sewing Place

Cutting mats

Lilian

Cutting mats
« on: November 15, 2019, 20:50:20 PM »
I have found my rotary cutting blades go dull very quickly and am wondering if the cutting mats I use could be causing it.  They are supposed to be self-healing but they have deep cuts in them sometimes with fabric stuck in the cuts.  I clean them regularly but the score marks won't heal.  I have seen this one from cuttingmatsXXL website.  Has anyone used them?  I have also ordered a blade sharpener.
Willing but not always able :)

Lisalou1965

Re: Cutting mats
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 05:46:06 AM »
I don't know that I can be of any help, but thought I would add my tuppence worth. How long do your blades last you - and how much use do you give them. I find it tends to vary with what I am cutting. With heavier fabrics like denim, the blade lasts less, certainly. Thing is, given the price of blades online, I don't worry about it too much. I used to buy blades at my fabric shop but now I find that I can get them on t'internet for about 2 euros a blade, or even less; seems reasonable to me. As for my mats, it had never occurred to me that they might be to blame for dulling of blades. Will be interested to see what others have to say - and thank you, you have reminded me that I need to get some blades!
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 08:08:48 AM »
I know that a new cutting mat makes the world of difference to cutting fabric as much as new blades.

I recently went on a matsplurge at Hobbycraft (Yes, that is a thing!) buying THREE (count em and weep) new mats  ...

An A1 (36 x 24), an A2 (24 x 18) and an  A3 (18 x 12) ...

I got them from the Boys department in Hobbycraft (model making) where they are soooo much cheaper than in the Girls department (sewing section) and came out with all 3 for just over £30 using a 20% bribe discount that had fallen into my inbox earlier that week!

The difference in my cutting was immediate even with the same old blade in my RC. I dont think mats can go on forever, especially with the amount of mine get! In fact thinking of it, the A3 mat which prompted the matsplurge was my original from ... some time in the 1990's ... so well deserving of a quiet retirement.

I bought the A1 because my original A1 mat had split (yes really, no idea how or why.) I had repaired it with duct tape but it was going sticky and nasty. I might cut it down, cutting the split bit off, if I can as its ok but for that.

The A2 is my go to, everyday mat and the A3 is excellent for turning, trimming blocks in situ.

I also recently splurged on a new 45mm RC as my trusty 28mm doesnt quite manage to cut cleanly through three layers at the final stage of making quilts.... and Boy did I notice a difference in sharpness .... Luckily I have a good selection of new blades so will be replacing my 28's blade shortly.

Dont know if this helps, but I do know that I'm definitely guilty of carrying on using equipment that really does need replacing a lot of the time.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 09:59:08 AM »
I seem to have perfected the art of fitting a new blade and developing an instant nick in the edge.  >< Just one thread thick but enough to drive you mad. I don't get any further nicks, just that first one and it doesn't get any worse until bin time.  :S

I too am using my very first mat and the measurements don't correspond with any of my rulers so I just use it for squaring up and cutting rather than measuring.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 10:33:52 AM »
@Iminei I would love to update my  7 Yr old mats but can't afford to I'm afraid... Guess I will just have to avoid the gauges.
@Lilian the cheaper the blade the shorter time they last. I buy cheap and change them after each project... Unless I am very lucky.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Deafoldbat

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 19:29:43 PM »
I have got one of these blade sharpeners
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quilted-Bear-Premium-Universal-Sharpener/dp/B07K7P186F/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=rotary+cutter+sharpener&qid=1573932102&sr=8-6

which will extend the blade life for a bit, and take out/reduce small nicks. I have also had another type which you twist by hand against 2 sorts of abrasive, but it's not as good imo. Sooner or later you just have to put in a new blade.

Cutting mats don't last for ever, but should last several years, depending on how much you use them and the care with which you store them. The best one I've had was by Fiskars, but Olfa mats are good too. I personally don't like the ones sold by Creative Grids - they seem 'sticky' to me; the cutter seems to go into the surface more, but that may just be me. I know people who are quite happy with them.

As with all things, you get what you pay for.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 21:47:26 PM »
@Lisalou1965 I use Olfa blades 45mm they cost £20.49 for a pack of 5, that's £4.09 per blade.  The last new blade I put in was used for the bag I made for the bagathon,  couple of mug rugs and I have just made 4 log cabin blocks, is was already dull for the 4 blocks.  I don't think that is very long.  The cutting mat is  SpaceFly A2 but also have a couple of smaller ones that I use. I've had them for about 2 years and really don't do that much cutting.  A blade would not last if I were to make a cot size quilt!  I am feeling very disappointed at the moment  :(

@Deafoldbat That is the same sharpener that I ordered, from Quilted Bear :)

@Iminei I am the same, I carry on with a dulled blade, but that probably doesn't help the mat, with the heavier pressure needed and multiple cuts instead of one :(

Oh drat! I've just looked up for a new A2 mat and saw that Thw Works seel them for £6.99!  I've been out all day at the Peak Shopping Village and walked right by The Works there :(
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 21:56:03 PM by Lilian »

Sara-S

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 13:45:03 PM »
My cutting mats are from OLFA and Fiskars.  My preferred blades are OLFA-they’re sharper than the Fiskars.  The only time my blade gouged my mat was when I lent it to someone else.  She is inexperienced and put too much pressure on it. 

There are many variables that affect wear, including how much pressure you use, the brand of blade and the type of fabrics you cut.

My blades last a good while, but I mostly cut quilting cotton.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

rubywishes

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 09:23:59 AM »
My mats are ancient but are still serving me well...probably a testament to how slow I am with my projects rather than anything else!  I have 3 mats, all used at different tables in my sewing room...dunno their size and I'm too comfy on the lounge chair to get up and check.  I'm hard on my blades as I always hold my cutter at a weird-angle due to my weird visual perception of 'straight" so I change them pretty frequently....I buy Olfa..they're the better of the 2 brands on offer here.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 11:14:37 AM »
I see the company you mention @Lilian do custom size mats https://www.cuttingmatsxxl.com/product/cuttingmat/ in 3 different thicknesses and I am deliberating! They seem reasonably priced to me. I've been using two mats, an A1 and an A2 pushed together but would prefer to cover most of my cutting table (ex-work desk on rollers, thanks DH).

I can't bring myself to pay Olfa blade prices after the original pack lasted no time at all so I buy these cheapos. I'm sure they're not the same quality as the real thing but the blade lasts for 2 or 3 projects before I run over one pin too many, and they're a fraction of the price so I'm happy to change them when it's needed.

I recycle the old blades in a second Olfa cutter which I use for Kraft tex, paper etc. until they give up the ghost.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 11:20:56 AM by Vezelay »

Lilian

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 12:03:07 PM »
Yes @Vezelay that is the company. I was thinking to put a clear mat over the marked one so you can see the lines through  :) and the price is not bad really.  I haven't ordered one yet because I have got out my bigger mat A1 as I haven't used it much and it has made a difference to the cutting. I have also sharpened one dull blade with the new sharpener  :)  Thanks for the tip on the cheaper blades. I will give them a go  :)

Vezelay

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 14:25:25 PM »
Or we could try this @Lilian . Just beware the dog in the bath issue :) Seriously, I might give it a go to remove those stuck threads.

Or there's this one. (That's what I use on my fluff-magnet black clothes). Think I'll try that first.

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 16:44:25 PM »
I like the  :woof: one - I can do that  :woof: and all haha :)

The second one I did do that but with a lint roller. Bending it slightly to open the cuts.  I think persistence is the key  :\

Lollipop

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 23:11:27 PM »
@Lilian I bought a full table cutting mat from a graphics supplier which looks like the one you show. It is rubbish to cut on and I find fabric sticking in the cutmarks all the time. It is quite soft and not good for cutting net and lycra which are the fabrics I use most. When I can be bothered, I use a rubber eraser to get fabric out but it isn't that successful really. Although I still have it on my cutting able I usually use my old green cutting mat now. With hindsight I wish I had bought an Olfa or similar.
I find I go though loads of blades but have been blaming the lycra, maybe its the mat!!
Was Sewnanny

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 23:35:42 PM »
@Lollipop thanks for the heads up! I have ordered a new small Olfa mat, hope that will be better  :)