The Sewing Place

Jungle January contest - 1.01.2020 - 31.01.2020

BrendaP

Re: Jungle January contest - 1.01.2020 - 31.01.2020
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2020, 20:21:40 PM »
BrendaP's Entry
Dolphin print fleece hoodie jacket

Pattern used
New Look 6142.  Chosen partly because it has few construction seams to interfere with the printed design and partly because I already had it.  A unisex pattern which needed a bit of tweeking to get the shoulders to fit.

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.
I cut the pieces one at a time to get the best placement of the dolphins and omitted the pockets because there wasn't enough fabric to pattern match and it would have looked dreadful if not matched.
I ummed and ahhed as to the best way to cut the hood, and decided to have it 'upside-down' so that it was light-to-light at the neck seam.
Construction was done on the overlocker - a doddle to do. 0_0.  Raw edges were neatened with the overlocker and then topstitched using a regular straight stitch.  It needed several changes of colour; cream for the hood, black for the sleeves and bottom and both for the zip.

I bought something called anorak cord for the drawstring but it's quite flimsy and I might change it for something a bit more substantial.  The pattern didn't say to use a cord in the lower hem s I didn't, but if I do change the cord in the hood I will buy enough to do both as it feels a little 'unfinished' without the lower cord.

I've been wearing it most of the afternoon - we went for a pub Sunday lunch - and I felt comfortable wearing it.

Pictures
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 22:32:11 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2020, 21:54:29 PM »
SewRuthieSews' Entry for Jungle January

I used the sewing pattern from Prima Magazine May 2010 as my starting point. I chose the top length but the dress sleeves. I used fold over elastic on the neckband instead of bias binding. I constructed in a different order and pleated the sleeves into the cuffs (which I made wider) rather than gathering them. I omitted the back waist darts, but cut the back with a centre seam.
It is a lovely soft blouse, which although I've sewn it in January should be great to wear to work on hot days in the summer.

Kwaaked

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2020, 02:22:27 AM »
I wound up selling the skirt I made for this contest earlier while having it on a mannequin to photo.  Someone drove by and asked if it was for sale...I replied "sure...$100".  The stopped and looked at it and asked to try it on, so I was like, sure.  Opened up, let them try it on and asked if I would do the alteration on it for free for the cost (I have to move the waistband hook and eye over about an inch...I didn't make it to my own measurements, just out of an envelope and made the band tighter for my own waist).  So...I never got it all the way photographed...some prelim to test the lighting but was working on the styling at the time.

The skirt itself was a weird round about on how it came to be...in a Facebook group I was showing how to style one of these style skirts because a celebrity was horrid in theirs.

But because I sold it as I was photographing it, I don't feel it's fair to post.  If I get a chance, I'll resew it up for the contest.

Manuela

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2020, 03:09:18 AM »
@Fabric Lover, cutting out in December is fine, as long as you have sewn it in January, you could enter it in the contest. I included the pictures in your post, however, some of them are sideways (nothing I can do about that).

UttaRetch

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2020, 08:09:32 AM »
Rotated

I did not attempt to enlarge since this would have led to a loss of definition.

Manuela

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2020, 09:06:50 AM »
Thanks @UttaRetch, now I only need to know whether or not @Fabric Lover  wants to enter the contest.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:26:01 AM by Iminei »

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2020, 13:01:43 PM »
Goth Gardiner's entry 1

Pattern was self-drafted many years ago. 

Fabric was 1m of "scardey cat" from funki fabrics.

This fabric was quite thick with less stretch than I've used previously.  I should have made the pattern a bit bigger, but it's not tight enough that I feel inclined to unpick it.  Sleeves with that rouching mean that my fat arms are hidden, and that I don't need to worry about pattern matching.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Iminei

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2020, 13:02:45 PM »
Yay! You managed to post GG!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2020, 13:07:57 PM »
Goth Gardener's entry 2

Pattern; self-drafted.  Top taken from a TnT pattern, but changed to dropped shoulders, neckline lowered and made a bit bigger (as previous entry was a bit tight). Skirt was a self-drafted handkerchief skirt.

Fabric, another one from funki fabrics.

As I had 1.25m of this for some reason I decided to make a dress, as most of my dresses are a bit work-formal, and I want some more casual ones. 

This needed a lot of amendments.  I made the top too big - hence the pleats at the waist.  I decided that I didn't need to pattern match as so many rtw dresses don't - and I'm not happy about the lack of matching.  I'd forgotten that handkerchief skirts show the wrong side of the fabric; so I did a deep hem.  It was too short, so I added another "handkerchief" of a thick black mesh - this is the "shadow" you can see on the right-hand side and at the front.

I'm not unhappy with it when compared to a rtw frock in the kind of shop that would sell such a style, but it's really not up to my usual standard.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 00:38:40 AM by Manuela »

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2020, 13:09:53 PM »
Yay! You managed to post GG!

Yep!  Have no idea what I have been doing differently to make it work, and poor Acorn has been very patient with me!  Thank you @Acorn .

Manuela

« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2020, 00:41:44 AM »
Great, 8 entries so far, maybe 9 - I still wait for @Fabric Lover to confirm.

samtowanda

« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2020, 01:22:38 AM »
Towanda's 1st entry

[/url]][/url]

I'm introverted so I usually just follow the different contests. This one inspired me to join in. This is a wrap top that was drafted using a computer drafting program. The fabric has sitting on the shelves for a few years. I had planned on using it last year but that didn't happen. I wanted to make a dress when I pulled out the fabric but I didn't have enough so I ended making a wrap top. I had enough fabric leftover to make a camisole.

Sewing the pattern was pretty straightforward since I previously worked out most of my fitting issues. I always have to make a rounded back adjustment. When I finished the top I had not decided on how to finish the ties. After I took the picture, I cut the ties and tied each end in a knot. The camisole is just waiting for someone to help me with placement of the back straps.

This challenge inspired me to pull a few animal prints out of the fabric collection.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2020, 02:18:58 AM »
Great, 8 entries so far, maybe 9 - I still wait for @Fabric Lover to confirm.
I wasn’t sure if my entry was ok to enter as Uttaretch thought it might not meet the qualifications, but would love to if possible.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 02:20:41 AM by Fabric Lover »
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Manuela

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2020, 03:09:54 AM »
I wasn’t sure if my entry was ok to enter as Uttaretch thought it might not meet the qualifications, but would love to if possible.

@Fabric Lover  only need to do an entry post, then I’ll put it into the voting thread. As long as you cut in December and sewed in January you are fine. @Utta Retch kindly rotated the pictures, so I’m happy to copy them into your entry submission.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2020, 04:44:43 AM »
Many thanks, Manuela and thanks also to Uttaretch!

Pattern used: I used the Closet Case Kalle shirt, with the sleeve expansion.

I originally made the shirt dress but after I’d worn it over black tights, I decided that as my legs were so cold ( it was a very cold day!) I would wear it more if it were tunic length so shortened it accordingly.

Problems encountered: The main problem was that I found the fabric, which is a crepe georgette, difficult to work with on certain elements. This really presented an issue when I came to do the sleeve placket - the fabric just would not behave! When I’d completed this, I really wasn’t happy with the way it looked so took it out and redid it as a continuous lap. It’s still not quite as good as I would like it but I learned some very useful lessons which I can apply next time!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)