The Sewing Place

This weeks project - Drawstring Bag

Sew What?

This weeks project - Drawstring Bag
« on: January 04, 2020, 22:06:20 PM »
A week or so ago I bought a metre of cheap black fabric for practicing on, so now Ive got to make stuff with it. I wanted to make a dice bag for a friend but thought the material was a bit rough so thought Id make a bag for some headphones I bought and ended up with this.

The headphones fit in nicely but again, the materials a bit rough so its now a cable bag!

I decided to make a pattern from A4 paper to get the material cut the same size, Im used to having to cut two of the same things (like pieces of wood, metal etc) exactly the same and this caused a bit of an issue. I just lay the paper pattern over the material and cut it out, this led to two pieces sort of the same size but not exactly.

Am I worrying about being too precise or is there a better way? i.e drawing around the template then cutting after. any tips methods welcomed.

I nipped/clipped the seam allowance at the corners but they still arent as sharp and pointy as Id like.This is nothing more than me wanting to get it right for when I need/want to do something perfect.

The drawstring I bought wouldnt fuse together with heat like polyester (?) does so Im annoyed at the fraying ends. Ive got to learn to add a bit onto my measurements as I didnt leave enough for the knot and a little over, its all a learning curve so I wont make the same mistake next time.

Its obviously a beginner thing to make, but the satisfaction of thinking "I made that" is something I love. Next one will be from better material and lined as my headphones were a treat and pretty expensive (for me anyway)

Vezelay

Re: This weeks project - Drawstring Bag
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 00:14:15 AM »
When I'm making a small project like that I fold my fabric into two layers and either measure and draw the shape if it's a square/rectangle, or secure my pattern to both layers with pins or weights. I use a rotary cutter but if you pin you can use scissors instead. The main thing is to secure both your layers together before you cut. That way your pieces should match exactly.

The corners are clipped across the point, not into the corner - like this https://sew4home.com/tips-resources/sewing-tips-tricks/clipping-and-stitching-corners-correctly

To minimise the fraying you could use some Fray Check. That will help.

Keep it up and good luck with your next project  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 00:17:51 AM by Vezelay »

Sew What?

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 11:26:39 AM »
When I'm making a small project like that I fold my fabric into two layers and either measure and draw the shape if it's a square/rectangle, or secure my pattern to both layers with pins or weights. I use a rotary cutter but if you pin you can use scissors instead. The main thing is to secure both your layers together before you cut. That way your pieces should match exactly.

The corners are clipped across the point, not into the corner - like this https://sew4home.com/tips-resources/sewing-tips-tricks/clipping-and-stitching-corners-correctly

To minimise the fraying you could use some Fray Check. That will help.

Keep it up and good luck with your next project  :)

Thanks. Im using scissors so it looks like Im buying some pins today. If the next corners arent sharp then its my fault for not following instructions (my wife will confirm this)

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 12:00:38 PM »
Here's a useful checklist of basic sewing items. You probably have some already. Lots more of course but these really are the bottom line.

fourkid

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 17:02:40 PM »
Congrats on making a useable item!  :toast:  It will get better and better. It looks like this might be a good fabric for a reusable grocery bag. Or possibly a vest (American term, not sure of the British terminology).

I noticed you left the selvage edge on. (left side of photo) It doesn't matter here - and there are times I purposefully use it - but in most sewing it will possibly distort a seam of a wearable garment. It has no give in it. I have used selvages I snip off as seam stabilizers (like in the shoulder seam), in fact.

Some people prefer to use weights rather than pins to hold fabric pieces together during cutting. They don't have to be sewing weights - some people use heavy washers or other such items. I like to use the old electric power pole insulators. They are easy to grab. I have been know to use staplers, scissors, and other heavy items in a pinch.

Good job. Carry on.
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 100 yards
So far: 8 1/2 yards

Sew What?

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 17:11:03 PM »
Congrats on making a useable item!  :toast:  It will get better and better. It looks like this might be a good fabric for a reusable grocery bag. Or possibly a vest (American term, not sure of the British terminology).

I noticed you left the selvage edge on. (left side of photo) It doesn't matter here - and there are times I purposefully use it - but in most sewing it will possibly distort a seam of a wearable garment. It has no give in it. I have used selvages I snip off as seam stabilizers (like in the shoulder seam), in fact.

Some people prefer to use weights rather than pins to hold fabric pieces together during cutting. They don't have to be sewing weights - some people use heavy washers or other such items. I like to use the old electric power pole insulators. They are easy to grab. I have been know to use staplers, scissors, and other heavy items in a pinch.

Good job. Carry on.
Its quite rough fabric, just cheap to practice with. Im not planning on making clothes (the wife is dropping hints about stuff) but Ive now learned what a selvage edge is.  0_0

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 17:24:58 PM »
The first time you make a useable item using any technique is a good feeling.  0_0

Whilst a little bag like that doesn't need the edges neatened, it does look to ma as though you have sewed a bit close to the edges.  5/8 inch or 16mm is the usual for 'dressmaking' and 1/2 inches or 12mm for craft items, though it depends as much on the fabric as the end use.  If you sew too close to the edges there is a possibility that it will fray right up to the stitching.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sew What?

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 17:40:55 PM »
The first time you make a useable item using any technique is a good feeling.  0_0

Whilst a little bag like that doesn't need the edges neatened, it does look to ma as though you have sewed a bit close to the edges.  5/8 inch or 16mm is the usual for 'dressmaking' and 1/2 inches or 12mm for craft items, though it depends as much on the fabric as the end use.  If you sew too close to the edges there is a possibility that it will fray right up to the stitching.

I trimmed the edges down to that. Is it better to just leave the full seam allowance intact?

fourkid

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 13:52:12 PM »
I trimmed the edges down to that. Is it better to just leave the full seam allowance intact?

*Sorry - edited because I hit a wrong key and it posted to soon*

It depends. For this bag with this fabric, I might have chosen to do two rows of seams to protect it from the fray. We could pick apart every aspect of any garment/object ever sewn and make other choices every step of the way. The bottom line is you have a completed and very useable product. Doesn't it make your heart sing every time you see it? 

One more bit of advice - I have always learned as much from my sewing bloopers as I have from my successes. And every project I have ever done has had some blooper at some point - Do not be tempted to point them out. If you look closely, you will see the same and worse in store bought products and garments. Don't even get me started on rtw garments that don't even try to match stripes or patterns. 

Sew on …..
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 13:57:10 PM by fourkid »
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 100 yards
So far: 8 1/2 yards

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 15:49:02 PM »
You can prevent the ends of synthetic twine/cord from fraying by melting them with a flame, but do be careful to do this outside or over a sink where you can control the flames/fumes!

Another tip for drawstring bags is to make two strings, not one.  One has its knot and one side and the other at the other.  You pull the knots and it draws up.  This makes it much more secure than a single string.

Yes, you ought to pin fabric to patterns before cutting out, else use a rotary cutter, cutting mat and pattern weights to stop things moving around.  As noted by others, you should cut diagonally across the corner excess rather than clipping into it.  Clipping into the seam allowance is valid, but only on outward-curved seams although unless you get heavily into princess seams you're unlikely to come across these any time soon!

SkoutSews

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 18:49:25 PM »
A bag is a good starter make because you can try different things and, as others have said, it really doesn't matter too much as long as your finished item functions as intended. There are many ways of tidying up the seam allowances, it comes down to personal preference. For a simple item, you could try a line of zigzag stitching to help stop the allowances fraying.
But it doesn't matter what you decide to do, you've made a bag which holds your headphones, so success!

Sew What?

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 19:27:54 PM »
You can prevent the ends of synthetic twine/cord from fraying by melting them with a flame, but do be careful to do this outside or over a sink where you can control the flames/fumes!

Another tip for drawstring bags is to make two strings, not one.  One has its knot and one side and the other at the other.  You pull the knots and it draws up.  This makes it much more secure than a single string.

Yes, you ought to pin fabric to patterns before cutting out, else use a rotary cutter, cutting mat and pattern weights to stop things moving around.  As noted by others, you should cut diagonally across the corner excess rather than clipping into it.  Clipping into the seam allowance is valid, but only on outward-curved seams although unless you get heavily into princess seams you're unlikely to come across these any time soon!
Not sure what the drawstring is made of but it just burnt and didn't melt. That's why I let it fray. I did use two pieces of string, I noticed that's what was used in the bag that came with the headphones so decided to copy it

Sew What?

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 19:33:33 PM »
The bottom line is you have a completed and very useable product. Doesn't it make your heart sing every time you see it? 

One more bit of advice - I have always learned as much from my sewing bloopers as I have from my successes. And every project I have ever done has had some blooper at some point - Do not be tempted to point them out. If you look closely, you will see the same and worse in store bought products and garments. Don't even get me started on rtw garments that don't even try to match stripes or patterns. 

Sew on …..

I showed a mate at work the pictures of it and got a resounding "whuh?" He'll be begging me for a dice bag soon enough. I have a superpower he will never possess......

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 08:39:14 AM »
Here's a useful checklist of basic sewing items. You probably have some already. Lots more of course but these really are the bottom line.

It is a good basic list. So often lists like this include things I haven't used in over 50 years of sewing. This list is full of winners.  :toast:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 19:52:06 PM »
If it didn't melt then it's not synthetic.  You can bind the ends instead.  Google 'binding rope ends' or 'whipping rope ends' to discover the technique.