The Sewing Place

bernina 830 and foot pedal

jk1066

bernina 830 and foot pedal
« on: January 18, 2020, 19:15:36 PM »
I have just got an old bernina 830 record electronic. I bought this knowing it had faults and thought it was probably worth a go trying to fix or get it fixed. It seems to have all the parts with case and manual and feet etc. The main snag so far is the foot controller which is electronic type 289. This will only work on high speed with no way of slowing it down. There is a button to change from max to min on the foot pedal but on min it doesn't power on at all. There is also a regulator screw which doesn't do anything as far as I can tell .The stitches all seem to work and I can get it to do zig zag and the other fancy option . My question is - what does anyone suggest I try next. I do not want to spend a huge amount of money on a new pedal  - is it possible to repair the pedal ? or indeed does the problem stem from the actual machine. I have managed to open the pedal and look at the inside which seems to look similar to a youtube video on type 290 but not exactly the same. Any ideas. Sewing machine repair shops are thin on the ground where I live

Lachica

Re: bernina 830 and foot pedal
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 21:06:45 PM »
I have a Bernina 707, the foot control worked ok when I bought it but the capacitor in the foot control went pop. DH removed it & it works fine so maybe yours has the same problem? I believe the capacitor was to suppress interference with radio waves, of course it's no longer necessary.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

jk1066

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 22:11:30 PM »
Thanks for replying. I was hoping just to buy a universal foot controller to use as a replacement. Unfortunately the original foot pedal has 3 pin connections whereas most replacements seem to only have 2 pin connection. Not sure if this means I can't use one with only 2 pins

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 10:12:44 AM »
If you are in the UK, it might be worthwhile contacting Bambers in Manchester. At least foot pedals are easier to post than machines, so you can look further afield as there are no local repair shops.
https://www.bambersew.com/bernina-foot-control-repairs-1728-p.asp

jk1066

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 10:44:15 AM »
Thanks I've sent them a message and will see what they reply.

LeilaMay

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 13:15:26 PM »
I would encourage you to read the first page of this thread
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,8066.msg132910.html#msg132910

The comments by radiofan about the need for capacitors is very relevant here - it is not correct to say it's fine to just remove them now - sorry.

Sewbusy

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 16:04:37 PM »
@jk1066 I recently needed  a replacement foot pedal for a Bernina Eecord Electronic. The Universal Electronic Foot Pedal is complete with wiring /power cord, not a separate plug to to the pedal. It works absolutely fine, and cost around £35.

Full Service and foot pedal £ £74, money well spent.

jk1066

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 09:50:32 AM »
thanks Sewbusy I live in Gloucestershire not that far from Wiltshire. Can I ask where you took your machine for the service etc

Sewbusy

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 04:17:32 AM »
@jk1066 Tom Dilley https://www.tomsew.co.uk

He's looked after all my machines since I moved here in 2007. Father and son who provide a super service and at extremely reasonable prices. A small business with good old fashioned traditional values.

If a machine can be repaired they can do it! No pressuring to buy a new machine although they do sell new ones.

Andrew Orlans

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 13:43:18 PM »
I had this same problem too and the issue is that the capaciter has gone bad.  Take it apart and then order the part.  Be extremely careful about the small (1 x 1/2") black carbon wafer.  It is very fragile.  I did this repair, but then broke the wafer and am back to square two!

This video will explain the repair.  You need electrical soldering equipment.  It is not hard but you do need to be careful.

Sorry, I have had to remove your link. You need to have been a member for 2 weeks AND have made 25 posts before posting links. I will add it on a later post. Greybird.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 14:57:42 PM by Greybird »