The Sewing Place

I have joined the 201k club too

Madame Cholet

I have joined the 201k club too
« on: May 04, 2017, 21:53:58 PM »
I have daydreamed about owning a Singer 201 for a long while, but finances and limited space made me promise myself that I would only buy one if it was going for £25. And to be honest I thought that highly unlikely, if not impossible.

Nevertheless I have just brought home a 1954 electric Singer 201k with oodles of attachments in a wooden cabinet that sews beautifully, which I found advertised on Gumtree this morning, for £25.

0_0 <3 :loveit:

I have named her Lilian, after her previous owner.
I'm planning to study the manual tonight, then give her a good clean tomorrow.
I'm so happy, like a million birthdays all rolled into one  0_0

BrendaP

Re: I have joined the 201k club too
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 22:03:06 PM »
Wow!  that was a bargain.  Enjoy it.

1954 - is that the old style cast iron or the new style aluminium body?

:vintage:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 22:04:39 PM »
Black aluminium and utterly beautiful!

Madame Cholet

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 22:11:06 PM »
i'll post a pic tomorrow.

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 22:52:36 PM »
Well done MC that was a good price!  I paid £30 for mine but £54 for the courier. Mine is a 1940 model.  If you read the serial number it can be identified on this site:

https://www.sewshop.com/date-your-machine.html

Glad to be in the 201k club.  And I like her name  :)  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Sewsuzie

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »
Brilliant! Especially the oodles of attachments and cabinet. Just shows, there are still some bargains to be had out there. I have one of a similar age, but handcrank, and a slightly older cast iron one that sits on the front room windowsill, for the grandchildren to mess with. Keeps them off my better ones  ;).

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »
Excellent buy MC!  Enjoy your machine!  I have a couple of these, and aluminium one, and an old cast iron, one treadle, and one a dual fuel (treadle and electric).

With the old machines, the accessories are what make them more versatile.  If you enjoy using the 201k, it may be an idea to buy a buttonhole foot.  You will have perfect buttonholes every time!

:vintage: :vintage:
Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 22:31:19 PM »
Here's a pic:
(I hope.. having probs uploading..)

Edit: nope didn't happen will try again later  :'(

Madame Cholet

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 10:52:48 AM »
Here's a pic, complete with cat lurker  :meow:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:54:20 AM by Madame Cholet »

arrow

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »
My beige aluminium 201 (201K23) is missing the darning foot and the small screw driver, and that's after I have bought bits and bobs from ebay. I still need a few extra bobbins, I never get enough for some reason  :P

It's very easy to underestimate a 201, its' one of the better machines what ever you compare it with, but it's not fragile. It's not entirely bomb-proof either, but nearly so, the top spool pins is sometimes bent or missing other than that they tend to be intact.

Yours was a bargain Madame Cholet, but this model is well worth it in 2017, I promise. The only thing I don't do on it is zigzagging.

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 12:31:55 PM »
Wow, that's amazing

KayK

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 15:18:21 PM »
Love a 201!  The ruffler/pleater attachments are great - and why do cats always photo bomb?
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Madame Cholet

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 17:15:47 PM »
Well done MC that was a good price!  I paid £30 for mine but £54 for the courier. Mine is a 1940 model.  If you read the serial number it can be identified on this site:

https://www.sewshop.com/date-your-machine.html

Glad to be in the 201k club.  And I like her name  :)  :vintage:

Thanks Lilian, that's a useful link which I have bookmarked. I now know her serial number dates from May 11th 1954.
:vintage:
Brilliant! Especially the oodles of attachments and cabinet. Just shows, there are still some bargains to be had out there. I have one of a similar age, but handcrank, and a slightly older cast iron one that sits on the front room windowsill, for the grandchildren to mess with. Keeps them off my better ones  ;).

Suzie  :vintage:

I have a 28K handcrank which sits on our front room windowsill. We have no grandchildren (yet) but the cats quite like perching next to it   :meow: :meow:

Excellent buy MC!  Enjoy your machine!  I have a couple of these, and aluminium one, and an old cast iron, one treadle, and one a dual fuel (treadle and electric).

With the old machines, the accessories are what make them more versatile.  If you enjoy using the 201k, it may be an idea to buy a buttonhole foot.  You will have perfect buttonholes every time!

:vintage: :vintage:
Jessie

Ooh buttonholers! Yes they are totally amazing and wonderful aren't they?! I am a bit ocd about them and am ashamed to admit I have 3 Greist-type ones. And all of the templates, including the elusive eyelet cam.   :ninja: :button: :ninja:

My beige aluminium 201 (201K23) is missing the darning foot and the small screw driver, and that's after I have bought bits and bobs from ebay. I still need a few extra bobbins, I never get enough for some reason  :P

It's very easy to underestimate a 201, its' one of the better machines what ever you compare it with, but it's not fragile. It's not entirely bomb-proof either, but nearly so, the top spool pins is sometimes bent or missing other than that they tend to be intact.

Yours was a bargain Madame Cholet, but this model is well worth it in 2017, I promise. The only thing I don't do on it is zigzagging.

The old Singer darning feet are quite rare aren't they, I have never seen one in the flesh. 
I did read that the aluminium body 201s are not quite so suited to the heavier work that the earlier cast iron 201s can accomplish, so I have made a mental note to not sew anything too heavy on her. That shouldn't be an issue though as I have a 1914 66K treadle which I have fitted with a roller wheel foot and I use that to sew leather as it is cast iron and punches through anything  0_0

Wow, that's amazing
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 17:38:15 PM by Madame Cholet »

arrow

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 21:23:29 PM »
...The old Singer darning feet are quite rare aren't they, I have never seen one in the flesh.

One came with my black cast iron 201, but it was missing other bits again. I need to track down two tiny screwdrivers, I would like to complete the accessory box on both of them :- )

I did read that the aluminium body 201s are not quite so suited to the heavier work that the earlier cast iron 201s can accomplish, so I have made a mental note to not sew anything too heavy on her.

It's only the body that's cast aluminium, all other parts are steel, forged meshing gears, etc, exactly the same as the earlier version. I think the reason why they say the earlier 201s handle heavier work better is because of the different hand wheels. On some it's a larger cast iron thing with spokes, some are a solid smaller cast iron wheel. The larger spoked wheel might have an advantage, but it's not a big deal. Either way, very little stops them, even the later version with cast aluminium hand wheel. The cast iron body would absorb more vibration and rattle than the lighter aluminium, but I don't noctice much difference. They feel a bit different though, even if they are much the same machine. If a 201 doesn't run smoothly, you know it needs cleaning, oiling or attention some where.

What usually limits the 201 (as well as a 66) is the hight of presser foot lift and needle size. These vintage machines takes up to size #22 (140) needle which is rather large. I would not push any of them too hard, but you would have to directly mistreat them to do so.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 21:26:08 PM by arrow »