The Sewing Place

Look What I Did With My Scraps contest - 01.04. - 30.04.2020

SewRuthieSews

Re: Look What I Did With My Scraps contest - 01.04. - 30.04.2020
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2020, 10:37:00 AM »
I came across this tutorial today, and although they say to use fat quarters (a quilting thingy I guess, I don't know as I am a garment sewer) I'm guessing it could be adapted to use scraps left from other projects, what do you think?

https://weallsew.com/fat-quarter-tote-bag-tutorial/

Manuela

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2020, 12:46:15 PM »
Unexpectedly, I finished the dress, I quilted quicker than I expected. However, given how large the pieces were, one for the front and one for the back - it would be a bit unfair to enter the dress. I’ll put poctures up in the I love lace thread....

snoozi soozi

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2020, 16:08:15 PM »
Snoozi Soozi's entry

I made a monster owl for my best friend, she loves the monster dolls and she's been a bit fed-up during the isolation period. I used a Jo Carter tutorial from an old Simply Sewing magazine, I made it up almost as standard, just placed the ears slightly off kilter and stitched the wings on the outside. I used left-over cottons, a couple of fat quarters from other projects and other bigger pieces.

It was good fun to make but I had to remind myself not to be so neat and precise  :) Once it was finished I set about unpicking some stitches and distressing it.

The scraps

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The finished fella

Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2020, 16:35:13 PM »
This little jacket was made from leftover quilted fabric from the coat I made right at the start of the year. They were quite large scraps, so it doesn't really count and thus is NOT an entry.

I used this Pattern from Prima magazine Feb 2010. To avoid to much seaming in this bulky fabric I converted the collar in an attached collar and cut the two fronts and the collar as a single piece without a seam. It gives a lovely clean finish which I really like.

It has inseam pockets in the front panel seams. I made them larger and more rectangular (copying a favourite RTW jacket) and they have been hand stitched to the zipper tape for security. The pockets are made from black bengaline left from the black trousers as I thought quilted pockets would be too thick.

Sonatine

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2020, 15:21:34 PM »
I finally managed to start and finish an entry for one of these contests in time!

Sonatine's Entry

Mid 18th century linen cap and neck handkerchief using pattern and instructions from the American Duchess Guide to 18th Century Dressmaking book.

I made these from the leftover white linen from my shift. I only bought 1.5m to start with so there wasn't much scrap:
I'd already made the neck handkerchief when I took the picture but it was just cut to use the largest triangle possible (21" along both shorter sides)
The two curved pieces are from cutting out the front and back neckline on the shift - with a small amount of trimming the larger front neckline piece became the caul on the cap! I had to piece the band by cutting it twice instead of on the fold due to fabric restrcitions.

Both are completely handsewn.
The neck handkerchief just had a small rolled hem (about 1/8") on all three sides.
The book I used for the cap didn't seem to have been proofread. Firstly it said to cut the ruffle to 49.5" which meant I had to piece it in the centre. However, later instructions said it was 1.5x the length of the band which made it 30" and meant I had to lose quite a lot of work when I cut it down to size. The instructions also failed to mention that you have to calculate the seam allowance yourself and add it. 3/8" all over makes a big difference so I had to recut and sew the band but had to leave the caul as it was as there wasn't enough fabric to recut it.
It's assembled by narrow hemming every piece and insterting a drawstring at the bottom of the caul with a hand worked eyelet. Then the gathers are made by whip stitching over the edge of the pieces and pulling the thread up. Then the pieces are whipped together. Closer photos of the inside and outside to show the construction:

Iminei

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2020, 09:42:37 AM »
Awwwww @Sonatine  ... who slimed you?? Just tell me and I'll get 'em for you
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2020, 10:02:54 AM »
I think we need the Ghostbusters!  Gorgeous cap, @Sonatine!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Elnnina

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2020, 10:47:31 AM »
Well done Sonatine that is a gorgeous cap and as for all that hand sewing that too is gorgeous - hope you enjoyed making this - there is something sometimes that is very theraputic about handsewing.

Efemera

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2020, 11:59:32 AM »
This is my first entry.. a brooch, there’s no pattern. They are just little cylinders of fabric, stuffed and then nipped together at the ends with a few stitches. The stems would be better cut on the bias but there wasn’t enough fabric.

@Efemera, could you please insert the pictures into the text for future entries. I did it for you on this one. Thank you  :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:41:25 AM by Manuela »

Elnnina

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2020, 14:23:40 PM »
Oh they are different and delightful - well done Efemera.

Efemera

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2020, 09:11:09 AM »
Entry number 2
Fishes, self drawn pattern. Was going to embroider them but I like them plain.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I edited this one as well to have the pictures in the text
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:44:07 AM by Manuela »

Pearl

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2020, 18:15:28 PM »
Pearl's Entry

What is it - Cushion front (will become a zipped cushion when the haberdashery re-opens)

Pattern used - Small Wonders by Jen Kingwell

What scraps/leftover fabrics did you use - batik and blenders scraps left over from past P&Q projects

A short description on how you made it - 9 machine pieced blocks (3" finished), log cabin strips added to two sides, hand quilted

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 18:23:37 PM by Pearl »

elisep

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2020, 03:08:54 AM »
I posted this one in the 6PAC contest but it's just occurred me I can enter it here, too!

This is my scrap, left over from a piece of silk chiffon I bought last year to make a dress for my friend's wedding. Sadly I made a mess of the dress and ended up having to wear RTW. But I kept the dress and this leftover piece (about 1/2 metre) with the idea to make a simple kimono sleeve top from it.
The pattern is one I traced off from my mum's collection but I think it is an out of print Butterick... I'll find the number later. If I can't get the top cut out of the scrap and the skirt the pattern also has a raglan sleeve that might work instead, but I prefer the kimono sleeve version.
I'm off to go and visit my horse now, and will get to sewing it later this afternoon!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2020, 07:40:39 AM »
I have pulled together some medium weight black and red knit scraps and a pattern I think could work but have not yet got any further. I work full time from home, so hopefully will manage some evening sewing time!
Its a PDF pattern, printed but not assembled, so some work required there!

Ann

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2020, 21:58:04 PM »
Ann's Entry #2

What is it and for whom

This is a sun dress that I made for one of my Gotz dolls.

Pattern used

Garden Tea Dress by 123 Mulberry Street

What scraps/leftover fabrics did you use

The two fabrics were left over from the pillow. The stripe was the lining for the pocket and the green was the pocket. Maybe .4 meter of fabric total.

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.

• The pattern was for an 18" American Girl doll and the Gotz doll is a slimmer doll that is 19" tall. I had to print the pattern at 95% and then I lengthened the new bodice by 1/4". The two skirts were cut to the same length as the pattern called for the 18" doll.
  • I measured three times before I cut out the tow skirts. I had enough fabric to make the outer bodice in green and the lining in stripe. I was able to squeeze out the bow on the back.
  • There was a strip of striped fabric left over that I added to the hem, cut down, serged and folded under leaving only a tiny bit showing at the hem for an element of surprise. All the exposed seams were serged.
  • Once cut out, I followed the pattern though I do hand sew the bodice lining in place rather than serging as instructed
  • I closed the back with a larger snap and sewed the bow on top of the snap.

I cheered as there are no scraps of fabric left.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres