The Sewing Place

Is this fixable?

Button Nose

Is this fixable?
« on: April 17, 2020, 18:40:32 PM »

It's a sort of QAYG so the layer it's sticking out of was sewn to hold that one down, IYSWIM, so I don't think I can unpick it. I can see from the stitching on the back that I've already tried to stick it back in (I can't remember how, it was a while ago and I put it to one side to ignore think about it).

Is there anything I can do?

Deafoldbat

Re: Is this fixable?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 19:01:12 PM »
tuck it in and try a sliver of bondaweb?

Button Nose

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 19:06:48 PM »
Ah, hadn't thought of bondaweb - good idea. There's no room to tuck it in though, the pink is folded over and top stitched. Will have a go with the sticky though and see how I get on. Thank you  :)

Deafoldbat

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 19:16:52 PM »
@ Button Nose
 Fray check might help too. Or a 'tasteful' bit of appliqué?  ;)

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 10:00:38 AM »
Ribbon!

I had exactly the same thing happen with my very first quilt, also QAYG, where It hadnt properly caught the reverse side..

I happened to have exactly the right colour of ribbon as the fabric so i appliqued it on top ... you'd never know it was there!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

You could use the same colour or a complimentary colour, maybe make afeature of it and do a couple of other blocks too ... No one will know!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 10:18:40 AM »
A little bit of hand sewing is needed.  :thread:

Coax the errant frayed edge back to where it should be with the needle, stroke in a sliver of bondaweb (without the paper backing), work a few hand stitches to hold it down and then press - with baking parchment between it and the iron so as not to get the glue onto the iron.

Use white thread because the stitches will come out from the fold of the pink fabric and extend as far as necessary over the white fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 10:40:35 AM »
As ever from The Goddess .. the RIGHT way to do it!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Button Nose

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 11:55:38 AM »
You're right, Iminei, I can't see it at all - good job  :)

Thank you so much everyone. Right, I'm going in ....

I may or may not be back with another photo ...

... or I might just go and do some gardening while I pluck up some more courage  :flower: :D

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 12:03:41 PM »
Looks like hand stitching is the way to go here. BTW, what is Bondaweb?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 12:08:02 PM »
Looks like hand stitching is the way to go here. BTW, what is Bondaweb?

Bondaweb is a brand of heat fusable glue - similar to Wonder-Under.  I think another brand is Misty Fuse or Misty web
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 13:19:24 PM »
Interesting. I wonder if it is available in the US.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Button Nose

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 17:39:38 PM »
I used Steam a seam as that's what I had to hand. I think that comes from America, Sara-S.

I was too chicken to use the Fray stopper as it said it was highly flamable and I was using the iron on the sticky stuff.

Will take a photo from afar in the next  day or two  :)

RJR_38

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 21:21:57 PM »
I’ve had similar happen before and have normally tucked it back in or under and slip stitched it closed. Once I used a dab of fabric glue as well but bondaweb is a good idea!

Button Nose

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 18:20:14 PM »
At last, the promised photo. From afar, as also promised  ;)

It's a scrappy to use it up effort. I don't like to look at it as it's not equal on both sides. I should have rotated the photo, sorry.

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 07:53:21 AM »
@Button Nose it's fabulous.  I'm a symmetry freak but your layout doesn't jar at all, it is really well balanced.I
Well done.
Life's too short for ironing.