The Sewing Place

My latest machine

Sara-S

My latest machine
« on: April 17, 2020, 20:03:05 PM »
I brought Orwell, (my big Brother) into the shop for a warranty repair. The machine won’t work with the pedal. While I was there. Since I was wearing a mask, I was permitted to wander about & shop. OMG, how long has it been since I just got to wander around a store?

In the course of my visit, I got to their “adoption room” and found a really nice Brother CP-6500. Not as many features are the big one, but enough to make it easy to use. Also a bit smaller, so I can take it to classes & club meetings.

Meet Joyce;
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Sara-S

Re: My latest machine
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 21:51:09 PM »
A bit more, now that I have spent some time with her:

I spent some time today, sewing more masks ( some for us, some to donate) on the new machine.  Of course, each machine has its own feel, so it was good to spend some time getting the feel of this one.

As it is also a Brother, the pedal sensitivity is identical to my other one.  I really like that.  The pedal on the Singer felt very different and that was becoming a problem. The controls (e.g. speed adjustment slider) are similar though the threader is different.  It vibrates a bit more, which isn’t surprising as it is 25% lighter.  The lighter weight will make it ideal for taking to classes, when that is once again an option. 

KayK

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 08:34:34 AM »
It must have felt good, being able to go into a shop and look at stuff!   I'm not much of a shopper usually, but boy, do I want to go and look round a shop right now!  It would be such a treat!

I am with you about foot pedals - I have a Juki TL98P with an enormous, very heavy foot pedal which is very sensitive - I just have to wrinkle my toes and its off!  I also have a little Brother Innovis 15 which I too take to classes (whenever they resume!) as it is very lightweight, but the foot pedal is also lightweight and skids all over the floor, so I have now got used to using the on/off switch and slide speed controller.
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 09:16:51 AM »
That looks a lovely useful machine. The US Brother models are slightly different to the ones sold in Europe but yours looks similar-ish to my friend’s brother FS40 model.

I like Brother machines and it’s definitely a bonus to be able to carry the machine to your classes.  :)

Happy sewing!

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 09:48:14 AM »
Your new machine looks perfect for taking to classes - lightweight but with loads of functions. The idea of browsing round a shop is so foreign to us already. You had a lucky find!

For taming wandering foot pedals, try a piece of non-slip drawer liner under the pedal. This IKEA stuff is what I use.

Sara-S

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 11:54:42 AM »
I actually keep 2 pieces of shelf liner in my rolling bag (that I use to take my machine to classes.) One small rectangle goes on the floor, under my pedal. The other, larger piece goes on the table, under my machine.

I also have 2 pieces for my sewing room.