The Sewing Place

static on sewing machine

calico

static on sewing machine
« on: April 21, 2020, 14:03:24 PM »
I have static on my sewing machine and its driving me crazy with the threads clinging to parts of the machine , me and the fabric and am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and welcome any suggestions to decrease it . I have several sewing machines and this has never happened on any of them. The machine is a riccar 4800, my favourite machine of the moment but for this problem.

Acorn

Re: static on sewing machine
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 14:34:10 PM »
This is absolutely hearsay - not something I've tried myself - but I have heard of people wiping tumble drier sheets over things to get rid of static.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 15:47:30 PM »
Do you have a manmade fibre carpet?
Life's too short for ironing.

Lizzy777

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 16:29:26 PM »
Some ideas on here perhaps?

https://www.hometalk.com/34572570/q-how-do-i-rid-my-sewing-area-of-static-electricity

I favour the humidifier solution. I noticed today my hair felt a bit static and thats never happened to me here in the UK before only when I have been on holiday somewhere like Cyprus etc where it was extremely hot and dry.

Hope you find something that works.

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 17:37:29 PM »
I think it's the drier than usual air that is probably causing it. My OH noticed it as he put his slippers on the other day.

I've heard of the tumble drier sheet method. Maybe put a little fabric conditioner on a cloth and wipe the machine down.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 19:15:51 PM »
I got some antistatic spray off eBay a while back which is quite good, I also use silicone spray occasionally, I think that came from Amazon.

eclectic

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 19:22:22 PM »
Yup, I agree...tumble dryer sheets work perfectly