The Sewing Place

Horn Workstation

Gernella

Horn Workstation
« on: August 19, 2020, 16:27:19 PM »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sewingsue

Re: Horn Workstation
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 16:57:07 PM »
Does look good. Wonder what the courier cost would be though. They are heavy pieces of furniture.

Interestingly one very similar to mine is also listed so now I have an idea what mine would be worth.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 22:19:07 PM »
It looks big and cumbersome.  I wonder how many pieces make up the whole?

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 08:29:04 AM »
There's also a pfaff with old style Horn cabinet for sale at a good price On Gum tree.  Collection only from London. 

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 10:21:07 AM »
The do look wonderful but I suspect when they are spread out, you would need lots of room.  My lust at present is for the folding cutting out table, of which Horns have gone from an achievable price to mouthwatering.  Another £100 and you could get the nice wood version.

That flipping lottery win needs to come soon. :S
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 10:39:11 AM »
I love the idea of these but when they're closed up they just look like a wardrobe. Might as well have something attractive for the money they charge for chipboard.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 13:57:23 PM »
My lust at present is for the folding cutting out table, of which Horns have gone from an achievable price to mouthwatering. ... That flipping lottery win needs to come soon. :S
You can get adjustable height folding tables.  They don't have the cachet of Horns, but will be considerably cheaper and probably lighter.

KayK

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 16:38:09 PM »
I bought a older (1980's) Horn cabinet - has drawers to the right, and the lid on the machine flaps over to the left.  It's pretty good (but not attractive).  I only paid £100 for it, but had to drive 2 hours to collect it in DH's old estate car.  Its well made, apart from the fact that the little flap on the right which lifts up to expose a tray has broken at the hinges.  It wasn't the hinges, it was the chipboard that has crumbled!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 16:42:37 PM »
I was looking to buy one into I found out they were made of chipboard. I won't buy chipboard furniture
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 17:40:30 PM »
I don't have an issue with chipboard furniture per say but I object to paying that much for an ugly thing. I'm not a fan of ugly.  :S
You can buy the lifty thing separately so if I was going down that route I'd design my own. I may even have sourced counter top hinges.  :|
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 18:14:08 PM »
I've got a Horn cabinet because of having limited space (until the building is finished  :) ). I  leave it unfurled but if we have visitors it folds up nice and small and if necessary I can wheel it into another room.  At the moment I haven't got the back flap up because I've had to squeeze the office furniture into the same room.
Once I've got my new sewing room I won't  need to do that but I'll keep it because I can drop my machine down for quilting which is very useful.
Life's too short for ironing.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 19:50:51 PM »
I've had one of these (as on OP's ebay link) for about 15 years. One of the best things I've bought (along with the cutting out table and my Bernina. ;))

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 11:05:29 AM »
I'm a big fan of folding tables @UttaRetch for the simple reason they can be dropped easily for shifting and decorating.  I've got a small one under my cutting table (desk), lowered to the lowest level, which has my thread cases on, needle cases, button cases, lining storage container, zip storage etc.  They also hold a terrific amount of weight.

Much as I lust over Horn, I need to be self sufficient and be able to get things up and downstairs myself.  The Horn Cut Easy, falls into this category.

The desk was built in the room so that's a problem for shifting.  Having said that I had an old wardrobe my mother gave me (pre-war).  My brother was going to help, looked at it, asked if it was going somewhere else, I said the tip, next thing he was taking it apart, so that could be the fate of the desk.  Doesn't look big in the picture but it is nearly a 50 wide and depth of 30inches x2.  I've butted the two pieces together to save room.  I don't know what it's made of but when I took the joiner out, it was flipping heavy.

It was built around 1994 when I was the computer fanatic now I'm the sewing fanatic.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 12:29:32 PM »
I’m not a fan of Horn cabinets.  Always seem to have naff storage places that wouldn’t work for me.  And the position of the machine is in the wrong place for me.  I like mine closer.  I’ve got a long beech kitchen worktop along one wall which was so much cheaper.

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 12:47:02 PM »
And the position of the machine is in the wrong place for me.  I like mine closer.
You're right about the machine position.  Because I use the knee lift on my machine I have to pull the machine to the front of the cabinet or the lift lever won't slot in.  I also find that if I have the machine dropped (for quilting) I have to sit as far to the left as the cabinet will let me go.  When the machine is in the high position I just shuffle it to where it is most comfortable even if it is not on the machine platform.  I think the convenience of the air lift makes up for other deficiencies but, for the price, it could be designed better.  I think it's a case of insufficient competition.
Life's too short for ironing.