The Sewing Place

Interfacing for seersucker/ crinkle cheesecloth?

SewRuthieSews

Interfacing for seersucker/ crinkle cheesecloth?
« on: June 04, 2019, 07:21:46 AM »
Hi, I've decided my next project is going to be a very simple pull over top made from a striped crinkle/seersucker/cheescloth type fabric. The pattern calls for a self faced neckline which is interfaced, however interfacing the fabric will destroy the texture to some extent.
What would you use for this?

1. use very light interfacing and don't iron the fabric for the facing flat.
2. use a different fabric for the facing (e.g. lightweight cotton).
3. change the neckline to be finished another way (e.g. bias binding)
4. Stitch the neckline with SM or coverstitch instead of a binding.

Here's a picture of the fabric. I then washed it which has crinkled it up a little more.

wrenkins

Re: Interfacing for seersucker/ crinkle cheesecloth?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 07:26:54 AM »
Could you use sew in rather than iron-on?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 07:34:34 AM »
@wrenkins I could use sew in yes.

I found this on PR
How about doing a "faced facing"? Seersucker probably won't take a fusible facing very well. But you can cut a second facing piece from the pattern, using something light weight like poly cotton broadcloth. Then put the seersucker facing and the matching broadcloth pieces right sides together. Stitch the outer edge only and turn right sides out. This finishes the outer edge of the facing very nicely, as well as acting as an interfacing. Then baste the raw edges of the facing/interfacing piece together before attaching to the neckline or armhole. I have used scraps of plain cheap poly cotton for this purpose. The polyester content helps keep the facing smooth, reducing the need to iron the dress.

And I suppose that sew in could be a thin plain cotton fabric or a 'proper' sew in interfacing.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 07:47:05 AM »
That PR method would give a lovely tidy finish. No edges.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Missie

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 09:23:54 AM »
@wrenkins I could use sew in yes.

I found this on PR
And I suppose that sew in could be a thin plain cotton fabric or a 'proper' sew in interfacing.

I never use iron-on interfacing; it is the work of the devil (after sewing chiffon!) and the PR method is the one I use with a facing, a tip gained from @b15erk , I believe!.  If you cut the interfacing a whisker smaller (and I am talking a couple of mm on the outer edge), it will stop the interfacing showing as it will pull a teensy weensy bit of the fabric to the wrong side, giving an even neater finish.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 09:40:17 AM by Missie »

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 09:32:53 AM »
Either the PR way, or use a plain cream or pink lightweight cotton.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 11:58:22 AM »
I’d use a different fabric.   I’ve had to do this on a couple of tops I made. 

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 17:11:52 PM »
Thanks everyone, really appreciate the suggestions. I think I might audition a couple of different scraps to see what would work well with this fabric. I think a two layer facing might be rather bulky.

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 18:48:18 PM »
I've just made a dress and was reminded how much I loathe facings of all types. Even caught at the shoulder seams they still fight to escape. Should have thought it through but wanted instant gratification.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 19:46:57 PM »
My twopennath? Bias binding.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lizzy777

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 20:19:04 PM »
I'd use a sew in interfacing for this fabric.

https://www.vlieseline.com/Products/Sew-in-Interlinings

The https://www.vlieseline.com/Products/Sew-in-Interlinings/L-11 looks good ?

You can iron seersucker and it just bounces back to normal after it is washed. But I wouldn't use a fusible on seersucker.
Sew in is definitely the way to go.

I love seersucker fabric.

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 20:25:33 PM »
@SewRuthieSews

The fabric is just lovely and I think the colour is great.

lizzy

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 20:58:42 PM »
I used bias binding for the neck and armholes of a double muslin top I made last summer.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 19:45:44 PM »
I made a button through shirt with seersucker (distant cousin of yours @SewRuthieSews ) It has ironed out a lot now, couldn't leave it fully crinkled because it was a remnant and not big enough. I had to interface the button bands and used a plain cotton which worked well  but the main fabric  crinkles up and has to be ironed out each time I wash it. The seersucker was great for hiding an FBA.  The embroidered white had a plain selvedge so I was able to use that doubled behind the button bands (which do have a bit of a crinkle)
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 20:34:38 PM »
I love crinkled fabrics, but I find that they crease in the wrong direction when I wash them, and I can't iron them without ironing out the intentional creases.  I have a lovely viscose top (RTW) which fits beautifully when the crinkles are in, but the edges crease, and if I iron it it no longer fits.  Is there a solution to this?!? 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.