The Sewing Place

Singer Featherweight 221.

Lizzy777

Singer Featherweight 221.
« on: June 18, 2019, 18:51:25 PM »
I'm the very happy owner of a vintage Singer Featherweight 221. I know nothing about them but I saw this very small sewing machine in the window of a local charity shop as I was on my way to the shops yesterday. I thought it was a toy machine at first (never having seen a 221 in the flesh (so to speak) before. I fell in love with it but decided I needed to go home first to see what machine it was. The machine in the window had a note that said it needed a new power plug? I didn't think much of it at the time, as I thought it would be easy enough to get one. This morning, I rang the shop to see if it was still for sale, so I bought it. It has a case and some spare needles. Some Singer oil and all the feet that came with it. The case totally in tact, smelt a little bit musty but the machine is mostly in a great condition. I love this machine already and I cant even plug her in yet. I looked at the site that has been recommended to other people before. But Helen Howes husband has retired now (it says on her site) so they no longer deal with anything electrical etc.

I am totally at loss what should go on the end to plug into the electric. The pedal is there with the cable but the lady in the charity shop, in her wisdom, has chopped off the end of the plug -<

Please can anyone help me regarding this? I have been looking at videos etc and also wonder if it is going to be within my capabilities to oil it and do all the things that may need to be done to it before using the machine? It is a 1949 model :)
Or is there anywhere, someone can recommend that can service the machine for me?

Thank you.  :)

lizzy

Kwaaked

Re: Singer Featherweight 221.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 19:03:14 PM »
https://singer-featherweight.com/collections/parts/products/electronic-foot-controller?variant=8483140291

This is the part you need.  There is a 3 pin plug that goes into the machine and the foot and outlet come off that.

Lizzy777

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 19:05:40 PM »
https://singer-featherweight.com/collections/parts/products/electronic-foot-controller?variant=8483140291

This is the part you need.  There is a 3 pin plug that goes into the machine and the foot and outlet come off that.

Thank you for the link and quick response. I did look a this before, but I am in the UK and it says it is just for the US? Or am I reading it incorrectly?

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 19:07:14 PM »
The annoying this is that the lady in the Charity shop, told me she had plugged it in and it worked ok?? But she then unplugged it and cut off the plug as they are not allowed to sell it with that plug on? So I don't even know what the original plug looked like?

lizzy

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 19:08:33 PM »
Is it just the plug that goes into the wall socket that has been chopped off, or is it the plug that goes unto the machine?

Lizzy777

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 19:37:14 PM »
Is it just the plug that goes into the wall socket that has been chopped off, or is it the plug that goes unto the machine?

Yes, I just looked. It's just the plug for the wall socket that has been cut off the cable thankfully. I tried the other plug into the machine and it fits fine.

lizzy

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 19:50:51 PM »
If you are on FB then this group is great... I have two featherweights.. a black 222 and a white 221

https://www.facebook.com/groups/36353681750/

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 20:01:15 PM »
That’s good news - a three pin plug is easy enough to replace.

Lizzy777

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 20:09:37 PM »
That’s good news - a three pin plug is easy enough to replace.

Thank you. I presume you can just put a new three pin plug on the existing wiring then?

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 20:13:01 PM »
If you are on FB then this group is great... I have two featherweights.. a black 222 and a white 221

https://www.facebook.com/groups/36353681750/

Thank you Effie. I don't use facebook but think I should join. Have put it off long enough. They are such lovely machines aren't they? Like they have a personality all of their own. Do you use your machines at all? I read the 221 just does a straight stitch but I am more than happy with that. Can't wait to try her. I've never seen a white one, I would imagine they are hard to find? I wasn't looking out for a featherweight but have read the posts on here about vintage singers, with interest. And then I just saw this one in the window yesterday.  :)

lizzy

StitchinTime

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 20:15:08 PM »
Just be aware that the colour coding of the wiring probably won’t be the modern blue (neutral) and brown (live), but old black (neutral) and red (live).

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 22:00:46 PM »
The other place to try if you need spares is Sewlincs
He often posts in the Vintage Singer Sewing Machines UK group on FaceBook and seems to hold a lot of spare parts.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

datcat23

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 23:07:31 PM »
I just had my Featherweight serviced, and as part of the service, he replaced the cord and reattached the plug.  So perhaps see if you can find a appliance electrician who can rewire a plug for you.  Its a shame the lady cut the plug off, as the original plug would help it maintain its value as an antique. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Kwaaked

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 00:21:08 AM »
I am in the US, I wasn't linking for you to buy, just what the plug should look like.  As far as I remember, you guys have different wall sockets then we do, type G I believe to our A and different voltage (homes here are 110 to 220 I think you guys have).

I didn't do it on my featherweight, but I routinely fix cords by splicing them to plug into the wall or a foot pedal.  I did it on an Elna who was $150 to replace the controller, so I spliced an older gas pedal one to it.  Happens frequently when repairing old machines...too many plugs and not enough working.

bessc

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 07:12:59 AM »
The wall plug is not a big deal to replace and will take any qualified electrician (or sewing machine technician) about 10 minutes to do. You can do it yourself, but if you don't regularly work with electicity it's worthwhile to pay a qualified person. They will already have a plug that will work, no need to order anything special.

It would be nice to have the original plug...call the shop and ask it they have already thrown it out, and if not go over and retrieve it. (Just for collector's value...the new plug is a really a better one to use.)

The white featherweights are fairly rare...you've got a gem. Read up ...

I can't post links but cut and paste this and add https:// to the beginning

singer-featherweight.com/blogs/schoolhouse/the-white-featherweight-221k