The Sewing Place

Verao Top layout

b15erk

Verao Top layout
« on: July 24, 2019, 12:02:23 PM »
I've decided to make this with the tiniest piece of stretch lace remnant, so I know I'll  have to make compromises, but I would like a few opinions of the best way to proceed.  The lace stretches all ways and is rather lovely.

The fabric is narrow, and has a big chunk taken out of the corner, so I can't use that for the front or back. If I fold the fabric in from the selvedges, I can get a bit more length which I would like, but, I would have to have a seam up the back.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

If I railroad it I can get both pieces on the fold, but no extra length, although I could maybe squeeze a small faux hem out of the leftovers... maybe.

This has a very wide neck band so that will need to be pieced at the back, as there is no way I'll get it out of what is left.

Any ideas girls?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

Re: Verao Top layout
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 12:09:55 PM »
I did think about that Fran, but I think it's too irregular, and it does have a tendency to curl.

I'm not going to rush it, because I really like this fabric.  Maybe I'm hoping that it will grow a bit if I leave it... -<

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 12:14:38 PM »
I always like to have a back seam and sometimes put one in from choice. I made a lace top from a charity shop skirt last year and used satin bias binding for the neck edge. It would work just as well as a hem I should think.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 12:17:46 PM »
That's a good way of thinking about it @Greybird , I have a bit of a swayback so that may work well. I need a thumbs up!

I like the satin idea too, but wonder if it might make it a bit 'dressy'?

Jessie

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 12:21:25 PM »
I don't think mine looks dressy (although it's navy blue not white) - I think the lace can take it where an ordinary fabric might not. It might just extend the use of the garment to other occasions.

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 12:27:14 PM »
If you are worried that a satin binding would look too dressy, could you use an organza binding instead?

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 12:30:13 PM »
D'you know @Greybird , it might work.  I have some white satin at home, I'll give it a go.  Don't know why I always think satin is just for 'dressy'.

I've also had another thought.  It may be a nice addition to the lining fabric hem... 

Thank you!  The cogs are turning!

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 12:34:14 PM »
Please keep the ideas coming girls, they are really making me think of other options.  Organza is a great idea @StitchinTime , but I think I only have the dreaded polyester organza that I use for costumes.  Must have a root around the stash.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 12:42:01 PM »
I like that idea @Francesca .  That in itself would help to stop the curling.

Why was my brain not thinking of any of these excellent ideas?

Jessie

snoozi soozi

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 14:56:10 PM »
@b15erk Please miss please miss, what do you mean when you say you'll railroad it? :S >< -< Don't know this term
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 15:03:01 PM »
@snoozi soozi , I just meant that I would fold it the other way instead of selvedge to selvedge, to make the pattern fit.  This wouldn't work on all fabrics, but this one has a busy fabric, and it stretches all ways.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 15:07:23 PM »
I'm afraid I'm very naughty, and usually don't follow the layout rules.  :o

Usually I can manage to salvage an extra bit of fabric, useful for tops, bias binding, pockets etc.  :loveit:

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 16:34:58 PM »
A photo of the pattern would help me to envisage the possibilities. 

In general if you can get the main pieces (front, back and sleeves) from the main fabric there is always the possibility of using something else for the smaller pieces and for facings, bindings, false hems etc.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 10:15:17 AM »
@BrendaP , there's a link here to the pattern diagram.

I managed to cut it out - phew! all except the binding, as I'm using a lining.  I cut some satin binding this morning for the hem, not sure whether bias cut, or straight cut will work best, we'll see.

Not really in the mood today...

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 10:21:47 AM »
@b15erk link doesn’t seem to work.  :(