The Sewing Place

FMQ options

QuiltySisty

FMQ options
« on: April 21, 2017, 16:04:56 PM »
Hi all!

I'm now at the quilting stage of this year's Festival of Quilts entry but I'm having trouble deciding on the quilting design. The centre of the quilt (it's a medallion style quilt) is a hand pieced lone star in turquoise, blue and purple (I would show you a pic but I don't want to spoil the surprise!)

So I've done some practice FMQ and have a few options to go with at the moment and I thought I'd ask A) which one you prefer and B) if you have any other ideas for me to try

So for the practice pieces I have done a single "wedge" of the lone star (there are 8 wedges in total) so you'll have to use your imagination a little bit!

Thread will be silver metallic thread, but won't show up as much on the actual star, because it won't be as big of a contrast as the black fabric from the practices.

maliw

Re: FMQ options
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 16:56:15 PM »
Ooooh I like them all but the ones along the bottom are my favourites, less 'fussy' and I don't mean that in a bad way. I just like plainer things and that is personal (I'm not a frilly person). Well done you for doing another quilt for FOQ - tickets have been ordered so I will be on a "Quilty hunt" again.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

twopence

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 18:03:49 PM »
I like them all too.  It will take a lot of practice for me to be that good, Quilty.  I particularly like the top centre and bottom left and centre but given the wedge shape I think that the lower ones will fit best.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 18:47:05 PM »
Middle of bottom row for me
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 19:01:02 PM »
I also like the bottom middle one and also the offset nature of the bottom right side one
Life's too short for ironing.

Vegegrow

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 19:54:44 PM »
its top left for me
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Holly Berry

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 21:07:54 PM »
Middle of bottom row for me too. I'm in total awe of your talent at FMQ.
Procrastination get behind me

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 05:59:35 AM »
Middle of bottom row for me...it has an Art Deco feel......which is unusual in quilts that I've seen at FoQ,

I'd definitely not go with feathers!

btw...you're off the Christmas card list...how dare you consort with the devil...and so well too!!!!  :devil:

Seriously tho', beautiful stuff Q, no wonder you've been quiet lately!!!

Ps Where did you learn to do that????
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:06:45 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 13:33:31 PM »
Middle of bottom row....and can I send all my quilts to you in future for quilting???? 0_0
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

QuiltySisty

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 19:14:58 PM »
Aaaw, thanks everyone! I hadn't done any free motion for a year (since last year's entry) so I was worried I'd be rubbish, but you guys have given me some confidence! Hopefully the size of the quilt doesn't make it too tricksy (it's enormous, as ever!)

I really like the art deco-y one, but I was worried that my lines weren't straight enough! I've tried drawing the lines on and will give it a sew after dinner to see if I can get it a bit straighter!

My Sister has done a survey for me at her work so I'll tally up the votes later!

I've taken a couple of craftsy classes on fmq, but it's been practice that's taught me the most! My first fmq quilt is absolutely horrendous, but I'd never rip the stitches out and start again, because it makes me laugh so much when I see it 0_0

Vegegrow

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 20:03:11 PM »
I'd definitely not go with feathers!
 as a beginner I wondered why ....I like the feathers..my thought was that it was the most freestyle of the patterns Quilty wouldn't have to be as accurate as they were less regulated...... the art deco is lovely but more formal and if stitches wandered they would show

Not trying to influence decisions just asking as a patchwork newbie
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 05:05:48 AM »
I wouldn't worry about any lil wobbles hon...especially if the quilt is as large as you say...they wont notice!
Also that sort of design could be done with a walking foot ...tho' maybe not on a large quilt...
(oh! the turning, the turning!!)

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

QuiltySisty

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 10:33:47 AM »

(oh! the turning, the turning!!)

Haha, my thoughts exactly! 15 turns for each motif makes 480 turns just for the centre! My arms are aching just thinking about it  :P

Somehow I managed to make my lines even wobblier with the design drawn on! I'm sort of leaning towards the one that looks like shells (bottom row, left) at the moment, but I change my mind pretty often! I shall have to make a decision soon or I'll never get it quilted!

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 13:24:58 PM »
I'm likely being dense here but I thought the whole point of fmq was that you can move the fabric in any direction therefore no need to turn the quilt.  (Though I understand that you might want to start different sections of the design from different places)
Life's too short for ironing.

shadykittykat

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 15:10:01 PM »
Bottom left is my favourite one
Kate
Running, sewing, eating