The Sewing Place

Who suits wrap dresses?

Francesca

Re: Who suits wrap dresses?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 16:30:42 PM »
I love the idea of wide legged trousers as I have a relatively small waist but big arse and thunder thighs.  Then I saw this on PR.  :[

UttaRetch

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 16:35:32 PM »
 0_0   0_0   0_0  Fish coming your way, young lady.

jen

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »
I've made a few wrap dresses and concluded that they had to be designed with some sort of underdress to be practical, the last has a sleeveless jersey shift with it. Effectively they become coat dresses - remember those anyone

UttaRetch

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2017, 08:08:01 AM »
The Duchess of Cambridge has revived the coat dress, but I made this

from a Vogue coat pattern long before she came on the scene.

b15erk

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »
Remember them Jen?  I still have one in the wardrobe!  Grey double breasted, with a white collar.  Very nice too, although it hasn't fit me for a while:)  It did excellent service for funerals :)

Oh, and I'm sure a still have a fuschia coloured one with a pleated skirt (made by me), but not worn often.  I'm not a smart sort of person usually.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

jen

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2017, 07:20:37 AM »
Very nice UR. Not just me then b15erk, in fact it's those formal occasions when you might be hanging around in the cold but need to look like you bothered to dress when the coat dress comes into its own.

BajaSusana

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2017, 14:22:16 PM »
To me, matronly is personified by Chanel style jackets.  Gah!

My mother adored Coco Chanel and made me wear those awful suits. I particularly remember a camel hair...dull.
 I am an extreme hourglass. The last thing that I should put on my body is a boxy jacket.
Chanle jackets are over constructed, yet  remain a shapeless box.
 I know too that the Chanel jacket is the gold standard in sewing. Just not for me.
But I do love here perfume, and My Beloved does as well...

UttaRetch

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2017, 17:15:23 PM »
Hourglass here too.  I have no desire to resemble a bollard.

DementedFairy

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2017, 17:45:32 PM »
I resemble a bollard, and there's not much I can do about it...except pad my corsets lol
C'est moi!

Gernella

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2017, 15:23:31 PM »
I like wrap dresses at least the one I made, made it again last year.  First was cheap jersey that was like a snake sewing, loved the dress hated the pattern.  Second worked out so well I couldn't believe it, in fact I'm going to make it again for a wedding.  It's an old Butterick and a faux wrap so nothing revealing, suits my small boobs as well.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included